Moved: Weird Sound: M20B25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved: Weird Sound: M20B25

Transferring this here as I finally discovered that its transmission related. Its an A/T with 4HP22 EH.

The engine is noisy at idle, and just a few days back, the transmission started to slip and the car won't move. Towed the car home. Read about its symptoms and focused on the transmission. Checked and topped up the oil while idling and gear on Park.

Oil color is weird. Its transparent with a few black dust/ dirt-like deposits. I've topped it up, and the sound would go away temporarily. Run the car around the block and problem would go back again. Did this several times. Bentley says that the oil should be 0.3 liters from low marker to high marker but I've finished 1.5liters of oil (total capacity is 3.8liters), and the oil level doesn't seem to improve? No visible leaks though. Worst, the sound does not go away unless engine is very cold. As it warms up, the noise comes back. Checked the dipstick again several times, and I think I have overfill because oil (red stuff) on top of the dipstick while colorless at the bottom.

My hunch: water in the transmission because its colorless on the dipstick. Dried out oil? Some of the vanes or torque converter may not be getting oil, thus the noise.

Could it be clogged? What am I suppose to watch out for? What would you recommend? Overhaul? Flush? Is this the sound of death? What is the common experience with this model of transmission? Want to keep it as is, if the trans is still repairable.

Thanks r3v.

Working...
X