Clutchmaster fx300 stage 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutchmaster fx300 stage 3

I've found a good deal on a FX300 - but I'm unable to find any real reviews on people running them, especially in a turbo car. Im not planning anything crazy, but I dont want to be replacing my clutch any time soon.

Any first hand experience?
    1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
    1990 325i 24v
    1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

You're talking about a very nice clutch setup,much better quality than the Spec or "F1" junk.

I've got a number of customer racing on them. It's a bit aggressive for my tastes for street use, but if you're running a decently powerful turbo setup then it makes sense.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I have one. Grabs hard and its really heavy. Whats the purpose of the car?

Comment

It's a fun car - will drive it some days. Probably wont see very much abuse. I'm aiming for 250-300whp on the average day, and a little over 300whp on the spirited days I want to up the boost.

Putting together the 2.7i swap now, and still collecting the various turbo stuff. BUT, Im going to be pulling the motor soon to do the 2.7i swap and oil pan - so figure I should do the clutch then.
        1990 325i 24v

Comment

If you can get a deal on it you might as well. I have read that kevlar clutches aren't ideal for cars that see stop and go traffic. glaze easily and dont fully recover. fx300s are segmented kevlar and are supposed to dissipate heat better and be more resistant to glazing. There is also a 500 mile break in period where youre supposed to stay below 3krpm. took me forever to get 500 miles.. and thats city miles.

I had a dream that i glazed my clutch before i got the 500 miles done lol

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
            If you can get a deal on it you might as well. I have read that kevlar clutches aren't ideal for cars that see stop and go traffic. glaze easily and dont fully recover. fx300s are segmented kevlar and are supposed to dissipate heat better and be more resistant to glazing. There is also a 500 mile break in period where youre supposed to stay below 3krpm. took me forever to get 500 miles.. and thats city miles.

I had a dream that i glazed my clutch before i got the 500 miles done lol
            You are correct about the kevlar properties and the use of stop/go. They dont really recover. I really like heavy clutches that are grabby to be honest. With that said, they are tough in traffic...
            1990 325i 24v

Comment

Why not run an Oem organic clutch with dual mass if the car is only going to be 350rwhp max if that?

The entire s52 clutch and fly wheel will pop into the place of original m20 clutch and those hold 321hp at the engine stock (Europe)

I used one with my s54b32 uncorked at 310rwhp /8400rpm shift point. It was happy common and cheap; great in traffic also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                Why not run an Oem organic clutch with dual mass if the car is only going to be 350rwhp max if that?

The entire s52 clutch and fly wheel will pop into the place of original m20 clutch and those hold 321hp at the engine stock (Europe)

I used one with my s54b32 uncorked at 310rwhp /8400rpm shift point. It was happy common and cheap; great in traffic also

That...I did not know. I feel like I should know that. When I did my 5 speed swap I went with a single mass set up, but I will have to look int othe pricing. So the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate will all bolt up? I assume you cannot mix/match parts. The starter would have to line up, but the mating surface would be different I imagine.
                1990 325i 24v

Comment

Originally posted by andrewm View Post
                  That...I did not know. I feel like I should know that. When I did my 5 speed swap I went with a single mass set up, but I will have to look int othe pricing. So the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate will all bolt up? I assume you cannot mix/match parts. The starter would have to line up, but the mating surface would be different I imagine.
                  24v starter will be needed to match s52 flywheel. Just buy a new reman for a s52 car

I've driven a e30 touring wagon (euro version) in asia with m20b25+s52 clutch setup installed+g260 and it was pretty agreeable in 3rd world country (asia) traffic.

Best way to figure out all the parts? Pull up the diagram on real Oem and email Blunt; you'll need the dual mass fly screws, throw out/pilot bearing to match Trans, clutch kit for s52 and dual mass fly, etc.

I put the s54 engine into my e36 m3 sedan and the s52 parts were already in the car; was super easy for me to just order a Oem Sachs clutch set and move on. Minimal cost, Max usability and BMW network support.

I really enjoy knowing the fact that one of the 6 local Bmw dealers in the Bay Area will probably have a part I need in stock no matter how weird.

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I have a fx300 in my turbo car. It's daily driven and I have run up to 20lbs of boost. I now am daily driving it at 12lbs and its very fast. The clutch is not much heavier than stock and also not much grabbier. I think it's a good clutch and have no complaints.

Comment

That's what I was hoping for! I actually decided to pick up that FX300 - that's a clean set up you have there! Was the pressure plate originally white? The one I picked up is yellow.
                      1990 325i 24v

Comment

Yes it came white. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X