• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic mealtime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Not a huge update but its a update nonetheless. I was able to put the transmission together without extra parts left over...lol and today we had some nice weather so I took the task of putting trans back into car. Took me 2 hours without any help and now car drives great, trans shifts smooth, no grinding noises, no getrag rattle.

I'm SO glad I'm done with this trans. I do have a much better understanding of the trans internally and how everything works.

Final pic of my little helper as we finished putting in trans fluid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

lol fix my trans

Comment

What's wrong with it?

sigpic

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

getrag rattle lol its getting louder. I'm j/k on the fix my transmission part but once it gets louder ill pull it out and crack the trans open

Comment

Im curious on the purpose of putting the assembly into the freezer? What are the benefits?

Comment

To shrink the the output shaft. I also heated in inner race of bearing to 180° and together I was able to put gear train back in the case without the use of any of the special tools BMW requires you use to do same job.

Shrink shaft and expand bearing race.

sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
                  Although my current problem is not a rattle I have done a lot of reading and from what ive read the getrag rattle could be either the input shaft or the countershaft bearings.

This is correct. Both input shaft and layshaft/countershaft bearings would contribute to the getrag rattle. (Which honestly is not really a problem with getrag and more of a problem with manuals in general; I've had getrags, ZFs, FWD Nissan transmissions, all have getrag rattle after so many miles)

Great little thread. Most people who split open an e30 trans don't post pictures of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                    This is correct. Both input shaft and layshaft/countershaft bearings would contribute to the getrag rattle. (Which honestly is not really a problem with getrag and more of a problem with manuals in general; I've had getrags, ZFs, FWD Nissan transmissions, all have getrag rattle after so many miles)

Great little thread. Most people who split open an e30 trans don't post pictures of it.
                    I have plenty more pics...lol. The best part about it is that I was able to put it back together...and have it work...haha
                    sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Splitting the trans open seems like you take a giant hammer and whack it until it cracks open. Kinda like opening walnuts with a cracker. How do you crack a trans open? I'm curious in case I need to do it in the future.
                      1989 325i Cabrio
                      tyzg

Midwest E30 Owners Gruppe Facebook

Comment

You first need to undo the reverse gear bolt, sensor, all the bolts that hold front and rear case open. In bellhousing you remove the hex shaped cover that has the front trans seal on it, undo the circlip behind it then attach your bmw specialty tool...in my case I made my own. Attach a 3 jaw puller and split case.

sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Hey folks, sorry to dig this thread back up but I'm rebuilding my Getrag 260 and am looking for this bearing and one other. I spent some time looking around the web but no parts sites list transmission parts this specific. Does anyone have the part number for the front countershaft bearing? And also any chance you would know the part number for the "front pocket bearing" that goes between the front shaft and the main shaft (input and output shaft)? Lastly, if you have the part number for the selector shaft or "shift rail" that sits halfway into and out of the back of the transmission that is used for selecting gears (not shift linkage that doesn't go into the trans at all). Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated. Will make a separate dedicated thread/post if nobody here has any input.

Comment

Working...
                          X