Catching Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching Low

Over the last two years, I've replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate and slave cylinder on a '91 ix. Recently (past 3months) and intermittently, the clutch has been catching very low, and the pedal coming up slowly. Feels like the clutch master, but after taking a look, it's not leaking, and the slave has a full hard throw when the clutch master is pressed to the floor. I bled the system twice with a full reservoir. Still same issue.

My local foreign car garage says pressure plate. Given the PP is only a year old, I'm still thinking clutch master. Before I take it to another shop or start throwing parts at it, has anyone here seen similar symptoms?

Side note, cold dry days the clutch is fine, rainy/foggy days make this problem much worse.

Thanks
    '10 Golf TDi 2dr
    previous:
    '91 325iX coupe
    '86 325e 4dr

Try checking the 30° plastic elbow that goes into the clutch master from the soft line in the brake reservoir. I had mine break and I still had clutch pressure but it was doing what you described. Mine was also leaking in between the carpet and the firewall.

#7 on the below RealOEM.com chart

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Thanks Poorboyz, will investigate. Was yours cracked or had the fit between the the elbow and soft line loosened?
      '10 Golf TDi 2dr
      previous:
      '91 325iX coupe
      '86 325e 4dr

Comment

Mine was cracked 75% around so clutch was still working but every time I used it fluid would leak down the clutch master in between firewall and carpet. And I didnt notice it until clutch completely stopped working. I got the plastic elbow replaced and I got an extra one. It took 3 days to get them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Checked the clutch master cylinder's elbow again tonight and it's dry as a bone. Nothing on the carpet or the braided line.

Maybe, just maybe the garage knew what they were talking about. I'll keep you guys posted with what worked.

Thanks again poorboyz
          '10 Golf TDi 2dr
          previous:
          '91 325iX coupe
          '86 325e 4dr

Comment

Finally dropped the transmission.
            Found the problem.

This was only after 50k, highway mileage...

'10 Golf TDi 2dr
            previous:
            '91 325iX coupe
            '86 325e 4dr

Comment

That would probably be from a bad throw out bearing. Or some restriction in the clutch lines or master cylinder that isn't allowing the bearing to fully release.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X