Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those with z4 3.0 SSK

Holy fucking notchy shifts, batman.

Does this get "broken in" a bit, or am I being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, or is it really this hard?

Still getting a feel for it, and haven't actually driven the car aside from in the yard.

Just curious - two hands to get it in reverse...

I was going to say that it is just a notchy lever, until I read this:

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
    Just curious - two hands to get it in reverse...
    You are just being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles. :P

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
      I was going to say that it is just a notchy lever, until I read this:

You are just being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles. :P

-Erik
      lol - tits.

Comment

I think that's what Dan's car has. And I fucking hate it. I have no problem pulling hard into each gear, but you'd assume the high effort would go along with some sort of 'exact' feeling. Nope. It's just as vague as normal, but now you also have to yank the shifter into place.

Scott, don't feel bad about the high effort. Get a Z3 1.9 lever instead. Having the shift knob ultra low is gay anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
          I think that's what Dan's car has. And I fucking hate it. I have no problem pulling hard into each gear, but you'd assume the high effort would go along with some sort of 'exact' feeling. Nope. It's just as vague as normal, but now you also have to yank the shifter into place.

Scott, don't feel bad about the high effort. Get a Z3 1.9 lever instead. Having the shift knob ultra low is gay anyways.
          qtf - cept the low shift knob - I do like that :) I even cut an old lever to make it sit lower back in the day - aesthetics man, aesthetics.

It feels firmer in gears, but the throw is so fucking short it's hard to tell what gear I'm in. I'll try it out for a bit..but then off it goes.

PS - why oh why can't the stromung just bolt right up? Am I missing something?

Comment

From the FAQ:

Randomtask37 - well after swapping in a z4 3.0 shifter i found it was a world of difference. after i first installed it, it felt incredibly short and very notchy. i was happy about the shortness of the shift although it was VERY difficult to change through gears and i was beginning to become skeptical of wheather or not i was going to keep the swap. well after about a week the shifter really loosend itself up and i was very pleased after that. it is a bit tighter, stiffer and notchier than stock, but the throw is like nothin else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
              but the throw is so fucking short it's hard to tell what gear I'm in

PS - why oh why can't the stromung just bolt right up? Am I missing something?
              That was my main problem with the shifter. I just didn't word my complaint correctly.

Um, as far as I know you shouldn't have a problem. Unless there's a difference between cabs and steel tops that I'm not aware of. Stromungs are quality. It should bolt right up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
                That was my main problem with the shifter. I just didn't word my complaint correctly.

Um, as far as I know you shouldn't have a problem. Unless there's a difference between cabs and steel tops that I'm not aware of. Stromungs are quality. It should bolt right up.
                I gotta ask will what the fuck he fucked up under there - they just aren't lining up right. He took the ansa exhaust off in C-bus at the meet.

Are there gaskets that go in between the two sections?

Comment

mine's getting old fast, way too notchy, but never took anything like 2 hands for reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M Powered
                    mine's getting old fast, way too notchy, but never took anything like 2 hands for reverse.
                    Maybe it's because I didn't bend the selector rod...

Comment

I didn't bend the selector rod, it's EASY to shift. you guys are all pussies.
                      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio
                        I didn't bend the selector rod, it's EASY to shift. you guys are all pussies.
                        I drove it to Meineke today, and it felt a lot better. It's grinding like hell on the harmonic balancer though - I told them to see if they could take it out and bend it. I'm exhausted, and need sleep. Sometimes I just gotta let someone else do some wrenching. So between the selector rod, fitting the stromung exhaust, and extracting what's left of the lower rear shock bolt, I saved myself a few hours of cursing and beating shit up.

Comment

just take off the harmonic balancer

it's like 10 mins to take off the driveshaft and another one minute to bang off the balancer.

I didn't notice any difference in noise or vibration after I took mine off.

And the thing is HEAVY as hell, and as we all know, rotational mass in the driveline is multiplied by said number to equal a net static mass. So I'm sure I got 1 more horsepower by taking that thing off.
                          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

I put in an M Roadster shifter, which has an even shorter throw than the Z4 3.0, and I can put it in reverse using 3 fingers. Oh, and I removed my harmonic balancer as well. No vibrations up to 130mph, haven't tried going faster.
                            This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

The harmonic balancer is useless, Scott. Just take it off, you'll feel no difference in the car at all. I took mine off of both of my E30's almost right after I got them.

Comment

Working...
                              X