Pick-A-Part 5 speed swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick-A-Part 5 speed swap?

Hi I saw a late model 5 speed e30 at the junk yard and thought that I could use it for a 5 speed swap. Just wondering how i can make sure that the tranny is any good? And also what parts I will need to take and what parts I can reuse? Also if this would even be a good idea at all? Thanks any help is welcomed. :)

I see nothing wrong with getting a junk yard tranny. A friend of mine and I got him one out of a junk yard for his ranger about 5 years ago and he's still driving it. But this is what I would look for. Make sure it shifts though all gears. Drain the fluid out of it and check check the condition of the fluid. Your best bet is pulling one from a wrecked car because if it wrecked that probably why it's in the junk yard. It less likely to be drive train related problems.
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

A used transmission is always a roll of the dice, but the G260's are pretty rugged and one from a wrecked car is a fairly safe bet. The swap has been covered many time. A forum search will turn up a list of the parts you need.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks guys I going to go for it.

Comment

my G260 is from the yard, I'm not expecting any issues when i do my swap. Just remember, always change the seals.
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X