Easy way to compare two trannies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to compare two trannies?

Alright, so I have two Getrag 260's. one is in my garage at home, and other is in my car right now. Since I have them both...I figured, when I do my rebuild this summer, I'd use the nicest one of the two, have all the seals replaced and the driveshaft coupling changed (since they are different) and use the best out of the two.

Now, my tranny (currently in my car) has 220,000 miles on it. Shifts good, although recently, due to my SSK, I've grinded 2nd quite a bit. I'll hopefully fix this over the summer my modifying my short shifter a bit.

Then I have my tranny out of my parts car, which has about 184,000 miles on it, and I only ever really drove it a couple times. But, what I remember, it shfited smoothly.

Both are in really good condition, but I'd love to take the best of the two, and use that in my car.

SO - is there a simple way, besides tearing it down and whatnot, to tell which one is in better condition? Then I'll take that tranny to the tranny shop, and ahve them change the seals.

I figured I could probably mount my shift lever on each one, and see how it goes thru the gears - but the geometry won't be right on, so it might be a poor judge.

Let me know what you all think! or should I not even bother? ;)
    - Sean Hayes

Drain the fluid - see which has more shavings in it?

I dunno. Lower miles might be better - if you are grinding in a gear now, the other one is likely better.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

That was my thought, too.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
      X