Flywheel bolts & tranny output nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel bolts & tranny output nut

1. Anyone know a trick to keep the flywheel from spinning to remove the flywheel mounting bolts? I don't have an impact gun.

2. I need to remove the balancer ring off of the output of my transmission. It looks like it's held on by the big nut at the transmission output, is that right? If so, I assume I need a deep socket, what size?

Thanks.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

I'm tempted to say 30mm for the output of the tranny,, but it has to be a thin-walled socket...

I used an impact gun for the flywheel bolts.... I talked to my mechanic aboutthat and he said it's very difficult to do,, try to get a breaker bar and hit it really hard and fast, that could jog it...
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I dont remember what I did exactly but I used a wire and I wrapped it through the starter hole and something on the flywheel. I dont remember what on the flywheel I used but I wrapped it around about 8 times and it help without a problem. Otherwise have a friend lodge a prybar against 2 of the flywheel bolts while you use the socket on aonther. Wedge the prybar so that you are pulling against the rotation due to the socket.

Comment

umm. put a wrench on the front of the engine and have someone hold it
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Got 'em. Just put a wrench at the crank, and let it turn until it hit the ground (had the engine sitting on the floor).

I put my shaved 325e flywheel up to the S50, looks like it'll work with no problem. Just gotta figure out if the starter is going to mount ok now...
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Congrat. Now if you ever do that with the M30 in the car you will not be able to get a wrench on the front end. Not enough space up front. I have pretty much decided that any work done on the the M30 requires pulling the engine out. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X