quieting my getrag 260 whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quieting my getrag 260 whine

My 260 whines like I have a kenny bell in it in every gear but fourth.

I recently disassembled it, installed a new input shaft bearing and countershaft / layshaft bearing. Still get gear whine.

Im running royal purple 75/90 in it now but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on quieting this down?

I was thinking about either putting shockproof in it or doing some heavier amsoil with lubrimoly additive.

Any previous experiences would be much appreciated.

I had same problem...EXACTLY. contact me and I'll explain.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

I have this exact same problem, what did you find to be the cause and solution? I'm just going to put a different transmission in, but would like to know if the whining one is salvageable.
      sigpic
      - '89 325is track beast
      - '91 318is daily corner carver

Comment

Does it happen in all gears besides 4th or does it happen when the car is sitting idle in neutral?

sigpic

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Interested in a car that has similar issue. In 1st and 2nd mainly on accel and deaccel. Sounds almost like a gear lash wine. Any ideas??

Comment

The whine/rattle I've dealt with was due to the bearings in between the input shaft and output shaft. The other common problem with the G260 is what everyone calls the "getrag rattle". That is due to either the input shaft bearing or the layshaft bearing. Both are easy to change once the case is split open.

The problem I had was a little more complicated where I had to pull the whole geartrain off the back of the trans case to be able to put the roller bearings in between input and output shafts.

sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
              The whine/rattle I've dealt with was due to the bearings in between the input shaft and output shaft. The other common problem with the G260 is what everyone calls the "getrag rattle". That is due to either the input shaft bearing or the layshaft bearing. Both are easy to change once the case is split open.

The problem I had was a little more complicated where I had to pull the whole geartrain off the back of the trans case to be able to put the roller bearings in between input and output shafts.

Thanks! That sounds spot on from what I have been reading. I think the bearing between the input and output shafts is out on mine. It was run for a while with no oil in the gearbox by the P.O....lol.
              sigpic
              - '89 325is track beast
              - '91 318is daily corner carver

Comment

Working...
              X