how to remove vibration dampener off 1990 IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove vibration dampener off 1990 IC

in efforts to remove my engine and tranny as a whole, I have everything ready to rock, however my driveshaft is still attached to the transmission.
    I cannot for the life of me manage to figure out how to separate the transmission from the driveshaft as there is a large rubber\metal donut around the entire assembly. (in what I'm assuming is the vibration dampener
    I can't fit any tools between this thing and the tranny output to free the tranny from the DS.

I have searched, and there hasn't really been much in terms of solution as only a handful of E30's came with these dampeners, and I'm lucky to own one of them..
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Have you ever replaced a guibo?
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

no sir.
      I've only had my engine in and out of my car, never dealt with tranny\DS issue.

13mm box wrench is too snug to even sneak in any leverage of any sort...

Comment

You gotta use 2 open box wrenches, maybe add some PB Blaster to help things loosen up.
        You will also need to loosen up your CSB, to get the front part of your DS to give you wiggle room, to remove the vibration dampner.

Comment

I ran into the same issue with the trans I pulled from the junkyard for my 5-speed swap. Mine is mounted under the flange (FUN!) I ripped the outer section of the damper off of its inner mounting ring that attaches it to the output flange. It didn't take much effort at all and allowed me to get to the guibo nuts and bolts. This is what you will end up with:
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
            You gotta use 2 open box wrenches, maybe add some PB Blaster to help things loosen up.
            You will also need to loosen up your CSB, to get the front part of your DS to give you wiggle room, to remove the vibration dampner.
            Thx, I'll give it a shot in the next while.

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
              I ran into the same issue with the trans I pulled from the junkyard for my 5-speed swap. Mine is mounted under the flange (FUN!) I ripped the outer section of the damper off of its inner mounting ring that attaches it to the output flange. It didn't take much effort at all and allowed me to get to the guibo nuts and bolts. This is what you will end up with:
              How did you go about "ripping it"?
              I have a feeling mine is part of the ds shaft itself...it's on there solid

Comment

Yanking at it forward and back, its only rubber holding it together. Perhaps mine was just far more deteriorated than yours.
                1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                  necessary to drop exhaust to access the CSB?
                  I know I gotta take out the exhaust shield at minimum...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                    necessary to drop exhaust to access the CSB?
                    I know I gotta take out the exhaust shield at minimum...
                    Yes it is, that's where the fun part begins. Maybe you can just loosen it from the bottom of the headers but I've never been that lucky myself. It's not a job you want to be doing all the time, specially on the floor with limited space.

Comment

What a bitch job. Done Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                      X