Can't shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't shift

I know there a billion of these threads but looking for some direct feedback.

So the engine is a stroker 2.7L with a turbo, kept the early model transmission and drive line all the way back to LSD. I have a UUC Short shifter kit as well. All bushing replaced. Spec 2+ clutch. Single mass flywheel

With the car off, I really have to slam into first gear. Everything else isn't bad although 4th doesnt feel like its engaging all the way.

With the car on, I cant even budge into any gear. If I put it into gear first and start the car it lunges and dies.

Bled the slave twice now, any other ideas?

Edit: Tried starting in first with the clutch in, killed it. So that answers my question.
    Something to do with the clutch.
    Last edited by Wardie; 11-28-2014, 07:08 PM.

Schwarz 1985 325e

did you pay attention to the way the clutch faced when installing it? There is one side that is designed to face the flywheel and the other the pressure plate. edit: I don't think this would really cause the issues you are facing, but it's worth asking.

edit2: also, starting it in gear should make the car lurch forward and start rolling with the motor on... it's not like there is an anti-start mechanism if the car is in gear.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

You said you changed the flywheel... It could be the Slave Cylinder is not activating the clutch anymore.

Comment

Single mass flywheel with transmission meant for dual mass flywheel?

Did you use the euro 323i bearing to correct for the shortened clutch stack height?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          did you pay attention to the way the clutch faced when installing it? There is one side that is designed to face the flywheel and the other the pressure plate. edit: I don't think this would really cause the issues you are facing, but it's worth asking.

edit2: also, starting it in gear should make the car lurch forward and start rolling with the motor on... it's not like there is an anti-start mechanism if the car is in gear.
          Yeah the spec clutch have a sticker that say which way goes where.
          If you start the in gear, with the clutch in wouldn't it not lunge like that?

Originally posted by Smrtpunk View Post
          You said you changed the flywheel... It could be the Slave Cylinder is not activating the clutch anymore.
          Would I need a different Slave?

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
          Single mass flywheel with transmission meant for dual mass flywheel?

Did you use the euro 323i bearing to correct for the shortened clutch stack height?
          The flywheel that was removed from my car was a single mass, and I used the supplied throwout bearing for the spec clutch.

I re-bled everything again to make sure and still nothing. I much rather not have to pull the transmission off for a second time personally.

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Wardie View Post
            Yeah the spec clutch have a sticker that say which way goes where.
            If you start the in gear, with the clutch in wouldn't it not lunge like that?
            With the car in gear and the clutch engaged, yes it will lunge forward. That doesn't prevent the car from starting and rolling in the selected gear.

With that said, why don't you describe your bleeding process?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
              With the car in gear and the clutch engaged, yes it will lunge forward. That doesn't prevent the car from starting and rolling in the selected gear.

With that said, why don't you describe your bleeding process?
              Ah, interesting.

I have a power bleeder, pumped up to 10 psi.
              Bleed out bleeder until straight fluid.
              Close bleeder and take off power bleeder and pump pedal the rest of the way.

The pedal has resistance, doesn't fall to the floor.

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Funny, I thought all ETA blocks had the dual mass flywheel.

Anyways if you switched to a single mass and kept the ETA trans meant for a dual mass I believe you could have issues with clearance. Search the site, I went through a lot of the same stuff with my setup.

I have a 2.7i with a single mass, late model trans, clutch and bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Smrtpunk View Post
                  Funny, I thought all ETA blocks had the dual mass flywheel.

Anyways if you switched to a single mass and kept the ETA trans meant for a dual mass I believe you could have issues with clearance. Search the site, I went through a lot of the same stuff with my setup.

I have a 2.7i with a single mass, late model trans, clutch and bearing.

Its strange though. My cars a 07/85 325E and it came with a single mass (I can get a picture to clarify) and it has the bunny ears for a late model shifter however it had the stock early plate set up.

My car has been known to have some weird quirks to it.

If the car is early, engine is 2.7L could I use a late model and strap a late shifting setup on it?

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Sounds like you installed the disc backwards.

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                      Sounds like you installed the disc backwards.
                      I mean it had the stickers on it still? Unless they fucked up? It looked right to me.

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

I had a friend come over and test the pedal and said it feels like it's not disengaging enough. Anyone have experience with spec clutches?

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Can't shift

Anyway to check stack size without pulling tranny?

Resurfacing the flywheel wouldn't effect a clutch that much right?

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Wardie View Post
                            Anyway to check stack size without pulling tranny?

Resurfacing the flywheel wouldn't effect a clutch that much right?
                            Resurfacing the flywheel past minimum depth would cause issues engagement rather than disengagement. Assuming that the design is the stepped lip design of the engagement surface

Comment

Hmmm I'm at a loss of ideas. Guess I'll drop the transmission and see what's going on.

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Working...
                              X