All you Diff experts out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you Diff experts out there!

So im getting my e30 lsd rebuilt and the guy tells me that my pinion gear's shaft is all scratched up and so i need new gears. Im heading to the junkyard now to see what I can find. What bmw models differentials have gears that can bolt up directly to an e30 medium case lsd unit?
    my project

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=164374

What ratio?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
      What ratio?
      I was looking for any ratio between 3.25 - 3.73. I actually ended up picking up a 3.91 from a e36 328i, since I didn't have any luck finding anything else...they are both medium case (188mm). Any idea if the internal gears can just swap out into my e30 lsd unit?
      my project

Comment

The easiest route is find a used lsd with good gears and replace the clutch disc. Or get one that is already rebuilt.
        sigpic
        327is
        325es
        325es
        318is
        Fiesta ST
        E46 M3

Comment

^ Fully rebuilding one is the correct way to do it.

Not sure if they will fit. Just make sure you use both the pinion and ring gears from the donor even if it's the same ratio as your original diff.
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
            The easiest route is find a used lsd with good gears and replace the clutch disc. Or get one that is already rebuilt.
            I agree with that being the easiest, I am in the process of getting mine rebuilt, just ran into an unexpected problem with the shaft of the pinon being scratched up which was caused when the lsd gave out on the freeway on my way to work one morning. Also, Why replace the clutch disc???

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
            ^ Fully rebuilding one is the correct way to do it.

Not sure if they will fit. Just make sure you use both the pinion and ring gears from the donor even if it's the same ratio as your original diff.
            Yea, the guy I took it to specializes in all differentials and he also recommended using both pinion and ring gears, thats why i figured why not just change the gears out to a different ratio. Unfortunately I couldn't even find any of the ratios I was actually looking for...DAMN you junkyard people! lol
            my project

Comment

Originally posted by e30_3I8I View Post
              I agree with that being the easiest, I am in the process of getting mine rebuilt, just ran into an unexpected problem with the shaft of the pinon being scratched up which was caused when the lsd gave out on the freeway on my way to work one morning. Also, Why replace the clutch disc???

Yea, the guy I took it to specializes in all differentials and he also recommended using both pinion and ring gears, thats why i figured why not just change the gears out to a different ratio. Unfortunately I couldn't even find any of the ratios I was actually looking for...DAMN you junkyard people! lol
              What do you mean by "the lsd gave out on the freeway"? do you mean the bearings went bad? I dont' think the scratches on the shaft will make it a bad diff if the gears, seals, torque, and backlash is still good. Post pic of the scratches.
              sigpic
              327is
              325es
              325es
              318is
              Fiesta ST
              E46 M3

Comment

I don't think all ratios are swappable, but you should be able to split an open diff and use those as well I believe. Gives you much more choices, nobody buys open diffs so they're cheap.
                Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                X