Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Need Euro Help!!] Dog Leg Shifter Lateral Play & Hard Shifting

Hi r3v!

I've recently bought a european 323i from the previous owner, drove it 1700 miles back home and just finished titling it today!

Quick introduction. This car is supposed to be a learning platform for myself. I've always been into cars and had the great opportunity to buy a car and somehow, landed myself a somewhat uncommon or even rare (at least to the US!) e30. I'm going down a list of things to do and one of them is to fix (or identify any problems with) my shifter. In first gear it looks like this:

or (if that link doesn't work)

It's in the first gear and too me, feels much much closer to me than say my 06 Honda Accord 5speed. In fact, with the BMW in second, the shifter looks like it's standing straight up out of the boot (which is what it looks like when my Accord is in neutral hah).

So my first question: Is this normal on European dogleg transmissions (245 Getrag if my research is correct).

Secondly, the shifter takes a bit of effort to get into gear in gears 1, 3 and 5 and pops out more easily than I'd imagine it to. In addition, there is probably a good 1.5-2 inches of lateral movement WHILE the shifter is in gear.

So for my second question: Is this lateral movement normal? If not what can I do to fix it.

And lastly: How can I help my shifter shift more smoothly? I've thought about rebuilding the entire shifter by following the diagram found on RealOEM here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=25&fg=05

My worse case scenario is I rebuild every part in that RealOEM gear shift (the category above the one I linked) section. I'm hoping that some more knowledgable members will be able to help out :) Thanks guys!

Kelly

the transmission you have is a getrag 245/11

the positions you're describing are not abnormal, but it's possible that you have a selector rod that's too short.

the slop you're describing is typical for a worn shift linkage. You should replace

- the shift knuckle (13)
    - the shift cup (6)
    - potentially the shifter itself. this is your opportunity to shorten up the shifter throw a bit using a different lever. the Z3 1.9 lever is a common choice.

this diagram is actually not correct, dogleg 323i transmissions had sheet metal shift carriers. there are two connectors in the front of it that you need to replace, and one in the rear.

congrats on the new 323i! post pics!
    cars beep boop

Comment

this is the actual realoem diagram for your shifter: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=25&fg=05

you'll need 2x 25111208580 and 1x 25111204422 in addition to the above-listed parts to fully refresh your shifter.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        the transmission you have is a getrag 245/11

the positions you're describing are not abnormal, but it's possible that you have a selector rod that's too short.

the slop you're describing is typical for a worn shift linkage. You should replace

- the shift knuckle (13)
        - the shift cup (6)
        - potentially the shifter itself. this is your opportunity to shorten up the shifter throw a bit using a different lever. the Z3 1.9 lever is a common choice.

this diagram is actually not correct, dogleg 323i transmissions had sheet metal shift carriers. there are two connectors in the front of it that you need to replace, and one in the rear.

congrats on the new 323i! post pics!
        this is the actual realoem diagram for your shifter: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=25&fg=05

you'll need 2x 25111208580 and 1x 25111204422 in addition to the above-listed parts to fully refresh your shifter.
        Kronus, you sir are a true OG. I didn't expect a reply that fast. Thank you for your knowledge and tips

I double checked just now. Turns out, in each gear, there is about 1.2 inches of movement in only one direction. In first, it doesn't move left anymore but moves right an inch~ In the other gears, it doesn't move right at all but moves left about an inch~ That sounds better than what I originally posted.

I forgot to add that before I picked it up. I had a shop do some maintenance and while I can't find the itemized work done (might have lost it. I'll request another one), they did say the replaced / fixed:

- The shifter linkage bracket carrier thing (I'm throwing together words here because I don't remember 100%)
        - Replaced/rebuilt bushings? I really need to get that receipt.

In any case, I'm not sure if I missed it but would refreshing those parts also help the ease or erase the difficulty of getting the shifter into gear? Thanks again:p

Comment

there is some natural side-to-side slop in the linkage. it would completely depend on what they changed out.. the itemized work receipt would be very useful, but also getting under the car with a camera and a flashlight and taking some photos will make telling what's new and what's not pretty easy.

if you don't remember them saying anything about replacing the shift knuckle and lever, they probably didn't. That's where a lot of the slop comes from, so it should be done.
          cars beep boop

Comment

there is some natural side-to-side slop in the linkage. it would completely depend on what they changed out.. the itemized work receipt would be very useful, but also getting under the car with a camera and a flashlight and taking some photos will make telling what's new and what's not pretty easy.

if you don't remember them saying anything about replacing the shift knuckle and lever, they probably didn't. That's where a lot of the slop comes from, so it should be done.
            I'll definitely do that as soon as I can and let you know what I find. Just to make sure (and mostly because I simply don't know and I'm a total noob and the names don't match up hah),

#6 - shift cup - (Bearing, shift lever on RealOEM) - part# 25111220600
            #13 - shift knuckle - (Gearshift rod joint) - part# 25117501309

EDIT
            I found the Itemized list and they covered a number of things we talked about!
            Both shift tower mounts: 2x 25111208580 and 1x 25111204422
            Shift Bushing: 23411466110
            Selector rod joint (their name - one of the parts i think you mentioned): 25117501309
            Output Shaft Seal: 23121205340

Also, pic of the car :)

Last edited by _kanon; 01-22-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Rebuilding the shift linkage should fix all those issues like others have described. Good luck on the new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                Rebuilding the shift linkage should fix all those issues like others have described. Good luck on the new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Eric! I'll go down that route and throw some man hours at it when I can!

Comment

Working...
                X