e30 lsd hex stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 lsd hex stripped

I was trying to change the clutches of my LSD and tried to remove the hex bolts on the unit.
    I didn't know they were so soft and stripped two of them completely.
    What should I do now?
    What torch should I buy and should I try a bolt extractor?
    There is a shop here in Houston that rebuilds BMW diff's, if I bring it to them will they take the bolts out for a reasonable amount? or any machine shop would?

Thanks
    Any advice is greatly appreciated

LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

You could always try a good set of vise grips with teeth that are in good shape.
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

^^ This, come back after a while with a good set of locking vice grips. Get some 10.9 socket heads from mcmaster for replacements. They have a deeper non-oddball cap on them.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

This is how my father thought me, works every time on anything hope this helps.

View this BMW Repair Tech Tip - follow this link: http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/brake/files/Remove_Stripped_Out_Brake_Rotor_Locator_Bolt_on_BMW.phpThis ...

Comment

^ +1 works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          323i MTEC1
          Z3 coupe
          E60 M5

Comment

@ King_Mufasa THANK YOU!!!!
            Thanks everyone for the advice, got a propane torch and heat them up real good, then realized my Allen 6mm socket was shitty so I bought a brand new sharp one, hit them with the impact and they came out!
            Fixed the bolts I destroyed by hammering on them as shown on the video above

LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

Comment

Working...
            X