Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do these lsd clutches look good? (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these lsd clutches look good? (Pictures)

The ebay ad said this LSD unit has 78 miles on it after a rebuild. I took it apart to confirm, and because I wanted to see what it looks like (never disassembled and LSD unit before). I am thinking it looks new/good as the ad suggested, but I wanted some expert advice to be sure.

First three photos are one of the clutches and the plates after they have been cleaned. Third picture is the second clutch that has not been cleaned off.

Is it okay to spray this stuff with brake cleaner? (I didn't because I wasn't sure if the clutch material is "compatible" with brake cleaner)

Also on reassembly, do I just coat the stuff with fluid as I reassemble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 04-09-2015, 08:27 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Clutch discs look like pre 1988 parts with over 100k runtime

Those have not been sold new by zf for a couple decades for BMW use. E30/36 Era parts have grooves in them.

Here are some random used pieces all with 100k++; not any different than your picture piecres

Note the 6 grooves on the newer parts.

Easy to match up the steel plate wear with clutch wear with a precision caliper...
    Attached Files
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      Clutch discs look like pre 1988 parts with over 100k runtime

Those have not been sold new by zf for a couple decades for BMW use. E30/36 Era parts have grooves in them.

Here are some random used pieces all with 100k++; not any different than your picture piecres

Note the 6 grooves on the newer parts.

Easy to match up the steel plate wear with clutch wear with a precision caliper...
      I was hoping you would see the thread. Thanks for the info.

What is the "new" spec, and range for used?

Where and what should I measure?
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
        I was hoping you would see the thread. Thanks for the info.

What is the "new" spec, and range for used?

Where and what should I measure?
        I think you are past surface measuring; if you want to know what factory specs are they are all in the TIS; this however will just help you spend money on new parts (as NEW parts are the only real answer)

Too much shiny on the clutch disc = reduced Mu coefficient. They are coated steel discs; the friction material does wear off with time.

Range for used clutch discs /worn steels is pretty large depending on abuse.

E30 owners really beat the F out of their original diffs; often the steels have pieces of clutch disc melted and smeared all over

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          I think you are past surface measuring; if you want to know what factory specs are they are all in the TIS; this however will just help you spend money on new parts (as NEW parts are the only real answer)

Too much shiny on the clutch disc = reduced Mu coefficient. They are coated steel discs; the friction material does wear off with time.

Range for used clutch discs /worn steels is pretty large depending on abuse.

E30 owners really beat the F out of their original diffs; often the steels have pieces of clutch disc melted and smeared all over

Hmm I just luuuvvvvvvvvvvvv replacing every single part everywhere.....

Well, pictures don't really show detail. The clutch disks weren't very shiny at all, but then I don't know how much shiny is too much shiny. It looked like the outer half hadn't made much contact with the plate, inner had slight wear - almost looked like just the "peaks" were lightly worn.

Would it be a bad idea to just flip the plates to give a new surface? If I can get a summer use out of it I'd be happy. I have 2 autox next weekend... this would still be better than an open 3.73 right?

Can't find the specs in the TIS - I've been trying to use the Russian one online and google translate is failing me haha. I'll keep looking though. I just like to measure stuff to be sure.
          Shadetree30

Comment

Time to import one of those blond bomber babes as a "Russian language translator"

Comment

Ha. That would probably be easier.

Used the googler. The dog ear steel plates are 2mm stock.

Still no spec on the clutch disk.
              Shadetree30

Comment

In looking up pictures of worn/used clutches, mine do not look that bad.

I'll use them as is for now and flip the dog ear steel plates.
                Shadetree30

Comment

The last picture is certain not a 78 mile clutch. Did the ebay ad say rebuilt with new clutches or just say rebuilt? A rebuilt could simply as replace the seals. I have rebuilt 3 diffs that is over 100k miles and the clutches look like the last picture.
                  sigpic
                  327is
                  325es
                  325es
                  318is
                  Fiesta ST
                  E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                    The last picture is certain not a 78 mile clutch. Did the ebay ad say rebuilt with new clutches or just say rebuilt? A rebuilt could simply as replace the seals. I have rebuilt 3 diffs that is over 100k miles and the clutches look like the last picture.
                    The last picture wasn't cleaned like the first one was. The black is dirty fluid/whatever. It wipes right off. I'm going to take a closer look at all of it tonight and put up some more photos.

I don't doubt what you guys are saying. But compared to pictures I have found of used clutches and plates, the clutches and plates in mine look hardly used. As in the friction surface is barely worn. I'll measure the plate thicknesses as well.

To clarify, I contacted the seller. The diff came out of a 325is with apparently 78 miles on it. The seller said he doesn't know how true the 78 miles are but he said the car was in excellent condition. Of course it could be a story... The car was found at a junkyard and the diff was pulled. I bought the lsd diff unit, not the whole case.

Thanks for the input so far!
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                    X