Shift rod lengths...size matters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift rod lengths...size matters?

I lost my oem m20 b25 shift rod from my M20 shift linkage assembly I am using on my M30 swap.

Does it really matter which shift rod I use?
    Provided they fit?
    Anyone know if m50 /m42 etc will work.
    They all seem to visually look very similar according to pictures....
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

I am assuming the g260 trans lines up normally without a angle like in S52 swaps... and you're talking about the selector rod (connects bottom of shift lever to transmission)? rather than the shift lever (the piece you put your hand on with the shift knob)?

Short answer - check realoem for the correct part and part number and order it (good item to replace given that the original was ~25 years old and worn out)

Long answer - Selector rod - there are several different lengths and styles . Basically, all you need to do is connect the shift lever to the trans. The different lengths will change the vertical "neutral" position of the shift lever. There are some selector rods with a bend in them to clear the guibo/vibration dampner on the driveshaft. There's also a style with a long pin and short pin at either end to fit an earlier style selector rod joint.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Yes you're right, my mistake I meant selector rod.

I think I just need to practice patience and order the correct part instead of winging it on a chance.

Thanks for the clarification
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Good time to get the UUC DSSR. There's someone on the forum making a less expensive version as well.
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Text sent to your 'phone. I know where your selector rod is, and since my E30 is out of winter storage as of today I'd be happy to drop it off.
          pn 25111221657 is what you want, right?

Do you need the 25117503525 rod joint too? Anything else? Really, if there's anything you accidentally included when you sold me your engine you can certainly have it back.
          Last edited by SubDad; 04-18-2015, 03:53 PM. Reason: Drop off the part, Not my E30.

Comment

Working...
          X