Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identifying Flywheel

Hi guys,

Could I get some help identifying which flywheel I've purchased?

The markup says e30 m20, but I've done some research and as far as I gather the m20 flywheels are 228mm, but this one looks like 240mm? (Have I measured this in the correct way?)

The previous owner says 323 early model he thinks?

I plan to use this with the appropriate clutch (once I can identify the flywheel!) and m50 / zf320 combination,

Any help would be appreciated! Or any pointers as to how I can identify too

Also, while I'm here would like to know which throwout bearing to use with the above combination?

Cheers,
    Attached Files

What does it weigh?

What is the distance from the steel shoulder to the outer edge of the ring gear?

Given those two things and your photos I should have a good idea.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Hi mate,

Thanks very much for the reply,

I'm not exactly sure which dimension you need,

I think it's 17mm on one side and 4mm on the other,

The total depth of the flywheel is 22/23mm,

I don't have scales atm but will get weights shortly, I compared it to 7/8kg (15-17lbs) dumbbell and the flywheel is definitely lighter,

Cheers

Comment

Hi guys

Any pointers?

Cheers!

Comment

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. It is assuredly a 228mm disk, and being lighter than 15-17 pounds tells me it's most likely an E21 323i flywheel (your friend was right).

Measuring the friction surface of the flywheel isn't very accurate as the diameter isn't critical (just as long as its large enough for the disk but small enough for the step to interfere with the pressure plate mounting).

A small trick I learned after looking at way too many flywheels, 240mm flywheels have a disk whose OD is about the same as the peaks of the ring gear. A 215mm disk will leave nearly all of the ring gear exposed, and lastly the 228mm will have the disk sit at about the mid-tooth of the ring gear.

Hope that helps!
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Hi mate,

Thanks for the information, let me digest and do some more research - that definitely helps!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X