College class - Getrag Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College class - Getrag Rattle

So, I am sitting in college now thinking about my car. Professor is talking about something but I am thinking about this rattling my trusty ole Getrag 260 is making.

Note that the PO of my car installed a more "aggressive clutch" when he swapped the auto for a 5 speed. Overall it seems that he performed the swap well with exception of the crap harness splitting he did. But I have fixed that.

So the rattle. With the clutch let out and not in gear it is LOUD. Pressed in, not so much. Can kind hear a little something but it gone as you hit the skinny pedal. You can tell it really is a more aggressive clutch.

What is everyone thinking? Worth worrying about?

That rattle is caused by wear in the transmission input shaft bearings. If the PO used a lightweight flywheel the noise will be much worse.

Other than the aggravation it isn't something to worry about unless it gets a lot worse.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah, he said he used a lightweight flywheel. It has been like six months of this but everything is fine under heavier acceleration but when lightly putting around it is kind of rough. Would more power or always driving a little aggressive be any better or worse?

And if not, it isn't worth pulling? Because if so I may just do a full swap

Comment

My rattle comes from using a 7lb flywheel. Im usually clutch in at lights so I don't notice. When in neutral and Im outside my car, I just consider the rattle noise racecar noise and it doesn't bother me.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

It just kind of gets a little weird explaining it to people I guess..

"Wow, this is a cool car... what's with that weird noise though?"

Then I give them the long face and tell them "because race car, light weight parts"..

BUT some kind of remedy would be cool.

Comment

Going to a stock weight flywheel will reduce the noise, but to fully eliminate it the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced with a better used unit.

I don't know what fluid is in the transmission now, but Redline MT90 might help.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I will run Redline in it to be sure.
              Should I post a video for reference?

Comment

No video needed anyone with a used manual getrag knows the sound very well

Google "getrag rattle" you will get a million post with the exact same question and answer

Your not the only one....don't worry

But try and search a little next time your in class and have a problem...literally the answer to almost every problem a e30 can have is a Google search away or you can just post here and wait for jlevie or another og to hold your hand and walk you through it (at least that's what I did for the first 2 years on here but)

Comment

I can't tell if you are being real or being a loser.

I did google it & I did find some information but the "getrag rattle" isn't good enough and that is not an answer. It wasn't designed to rattle and it is a great unit overall. So, if it starts to whether that be from wear/tear, other parts effecting it or anything else shouldn't there be some remedy? I mean sure, that remedy may mean just putting in a whole new unit but if that is the case- that's the case. I'm not sure where I said "someone hold my hand either."

I just asked a question man.

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Mine rattles with the stock flywheel and Redline mt90. Don't care I'm just glad its finally manual. There doesn't seem to be a real fix without pulling the transmission apart and replacing the input shaft bearing.
                      1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                      1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                      bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X