Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual transmission swap - guibo hitting shifter linkage - pls help

Hello,
    I'm in the middle of converting a 1987 325i auto to a manual tranny.
    Using a Getrag 260 from an 87 325e along with the driveshaft from that same 87 325e manual car, and a new large diameter guibo that fits the larger output shaft of my G260. All shifter bushings replaced Delerin, Tranny mounts are new as is CSB. Front U-joint is so-so/decent, and rear one is in good shape.

The shifter parts I got from R3V used but it looks to me from measuring that the shifter select rod is the longer straight 325i 188mm (7.40)
    and not the shorter 181 mm (7.12) one from the 325e manual.

The shifter itself looks like the standard one there is very small gap between bottom ball and where the shifter select rod connects through it, so it does not look like a short throw shifter at all.

I've tried grinding down the shifter select rod and shimming the transmission mounts/CSB and making every adjustment I can think of, but haven't had any luck. I can get the car in 1st gear and I can feel the guibo bumps banging on something and other gears especially 2nd and 4th are impossible.

Would really appreciate any input anyone has with experience of these type issues because I've spent a lot on parts so far and very close to done except for this one last clearance issue.
    Thx

Originally Posted by Blunt
    I've done this so much I have a toenail on my dick.

Re

So, nobody has any clue huh. I have two shifter select rods, so I'm going to bend one in a vice and try that and if that one doesn't work then have one fabricated shorter and angled so it won't hit the guibo. Not sure what else to do cause I don't really want to switch tranny output shaft and driveshaft.

Originally Posted by Blunt
    I've done this so much I have a toenail on my dick.

Comment

Working...
    X