Gearbox??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox??!!

So I am looking at a 1989 4 door e30 with basically everything in good working order except that the seller said it needs a new gearbox. I am a NOOB so I need to know what the deal is cause I was wondering whether that means the whole tranny is shited or not, or mebbe something else. I really dunno like I said I am The Noob. Anyone wanna volunteer info. I would appreciae it alot. late..

blck325is
    Originally posted by csermonet47
    Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Don't all rush to answer now.

blck325is

That is all.

Comment

Um...assuming (and you know the "power of assume", right?) he has any clue what he is talking about, he means transmission.

So, howzabout some info? 4 door '89 isn't the best description, you know.

325? 318? ETA or I motor, or m10 or m42, auto or manual or 4X4?

Give us a full question, with relevant info, maybe then we could help.

Or just be the usual asshat R3Vers.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

if its a MANUAL transmission, check the car out... it could be something very simple, like:

- check the master cylinder for fluid level
        - get under the car and check the slave cylinder (see how it looks, eg not leaking!)

if the master cylinder fluid situation looks ok:

- drive the car, find out what the problem is... if the car goes in and out of gear ok, but grinds a little going into say... 3rd gear (common problem with E30s) it could be just the shifter bushings (eg: the shifter action feels 'sloppy')

- if the car makes a rattling noise in neutral, with the clutch in, could be a throwout bearing

- if the thing grinds only in 1 or 2 gears, try double declutching when you shift... eg, (say, going from 2nd to 3rd): clutch in -> car into neutral -> clutch out -> blip throttle -> clutch in -> put into 3rd gear -> clutch out

if it doesn't grind when double declutching, the fork and/or synchronzer for that one gear is prolly fading or worn and it's really not the end of the world. Just double declutch (double clutch) when going into whatever gear is grinding.

finally, drain and replace the transmission fluid... if the thing is making noise, it might be out of fluid or what's left has been turned into espresso.

Comment

Sorry stereoinstaller, it's a 1989 bmw 325is, 5speed. Oh yeah and thanks Febi. That info is really helpful.

blck325is

That is all.

Comment

Hey...I just re-read my post. Sorry if I came off as a dick. It happens from time to time.

I don't think there ever was such a thing as a 4 door 325is.

But the tranny issues are just as Febi described. Tranny mount bushings can make the thing damn hard to get into reverse, too.

GL!
            Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X