Short shifter install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short shifter install help

Hello, Hopefully this is not something thats been talked about a million times, but I cant find ANYTHING on this. I am in the middle of installing the ireland engineering short shifter kit and replacing all bushings (shifter arm/mount, selector rod) and I am doing it all without removing the driveshaft from under the car. So far its taken a lloooooonnnnggggg time, but ive been able to do it. the only major issue ive run into is getting the front shifter arm bushing pin in to place! It took a lot of prying to get it out with a screw driver to replace the bushings. I have everything all lined up and lubed the H*ll out of it, but it will not slide in. I had to pry it in about half way and then it got stuck, like dead stuck. A little more prying and I broke the clip off the end of the pin. THankfully I was able to get vice grips on it and wiggle the clipless pin out. I still have the stock pin which is in good condition so I lubed that one up and tried again. SAME THING. I had to pry it in to get in in and its about half way and is STUCK. its in my garage just sitting halfway because I am at a loss. I can stick an allen wrench in the other side and hit the end of the pin so I have no idea what the issue is. Not enough lube on the inside of the bushing??? I dont want to pry on it and brake another clip. Anyone at all have issues with this??

Thanks!

I had the same problem.
    I took a very small drill bit wrapped with sandpaper and honed the inside of the bushing where the shift pin goes into to help it slide in and out easier.
    1990 Alpine 325is
    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
      I had the same problem.
      I took a very small drill bit wrapped with sandpaper and honed the inside of the bushing where the shift pin goes into to help it slide in and out easier.
      Thanks! I actually thought about doing something like that. I remember it being a tight fit when i used the pin to lube the bushing before I put it back on the car, but man it does not want to move. Thought maybe the aftermarket pin was slightly off in diameter too, but having the same problem with the stocker.

Comment

I used the garagistic rebuild kit and I could not get it to work even with tons of oil for lube.
        Honing it alittle will save your time and life.
        1990 Alpine 325is
        1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
          I used the garagistic rebuild kit and I could not get it to work even with tons of oil for lube.
          Honing it alittle will save your time and life.
          IT WORKED Thanks! I wasnt nearly as gentle as you said to be though :devil: Started with a drill bit with some sand paper, but i sanded the crap out of it and nothing. i think mostly because the texture was rougher after sanding it. Ended up grabbing a tap bit andtaking it striaght to the inside of the bushing. I still couldnt get the pin in more than half way without pliers (which i wouldnt be able to get to it with under the car), but I figured a half an hour worth of sanding/drilling had to hone it out a little bit. So i lubed it up and got the pry bar again. I beat the h*ll out of it again, but this time instead of staying half way in, it pushed through. Thank goodness for the steel clip on the stocker.
          I miggghhhttt have taken s few very small chunks out of the inside of the bushing with the drill bit, but judging by how hard I had to beat the pin to get it in, i think im safe to say there wont be any negative effects from it.

Comment

Working...
          X