Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 1.9 short shifter ???

Hey guys,
    I just finished my s50 swap on my e30 vert and I installed a z3 1.9 short shifter. My question is the car doesn't engage reverse that well and sometimes won't go into reverse at all. It also has a hard time going into 5th sometimes. Could this be due to the z3 shifter and should I change it out and go with a e36 m3 shift lever. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan
    1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
    2004 M3 (SilverGray)

This may not help too much man, but I had a similar problem with the difficulty getting it into gear. What I would do would be swap to the redline synthetic trans fluid and see if that helps. Other than that, its just part of the package with the short shifter. The redline mtl really helped me, that stuff is pure magic

Comment

Ryan,

I had this exact same problem and went through everything (literally) trying to figure out what the problem was. Your problem is NOT the shifter. I've come to the conclusion that it's a geometry issue because the m/s50 motors sit at a different angle than the stock motors.

This is what I did, and I haven't had any problems since.

**I flipped number 4 upside down. Try this and tell me if this fixes your problem. Your 5th gear problem might be, and most likely is, compounded by this issue, but should improve once you flip 4.
      Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Furthermore, I recommend replacing the following which should help as well. And if you wanted to especially anal, you could replace the gearshift rod joint (and associated parts) as well.
      2,3,7,12,13, and 4.
      Of course, you can get all these parts at great deals from patrick at bmaparts.com.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Thanks,
        I will try fixing this tonight! I hope this is the problem. I don't think it is the tranny because it shifts smoothly through the rest of the gears just really has a hard time going into reverse and staying there. Thanks for the help X2theZ3.

Ryan
        1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
        2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

Originally posted by e30ryan///m3
          Thanks,
          I will try fixing this tonight! I hope this is the problem. I don't think it is the tranny because it shifts smoothly through the rest of the gears just really has a hard time going into reverse and staying there. Thanks for the help X2theZ3.

Ryan
          let me know if this fixes your problem.

Charles

Comment

Working...
          X