Slave cylinder & bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slave cylinder & bleeding

This isn't a question, more of a observation that may help others with similar issues.

Last week I parked my 318is. The next morning when I went to start it the clutch pedal went to the floor with no resistance.
    Reading a little online I decided to start by replacing the slave cylinder. I ended up ordering the cylinder (TRW) and the soft line that connects it to the master cylinder. I thought replacing the line while I was in there was a good idea as it is 25 years old. This way I don't have to think about it for another 25 years.

The replacement was straight forward. The worst part is having to lay on your back in my case as all I had were jack stands. That and the limited space to manoeuvre.

After replacing both parts I still found the pedal had no resistance during its operation. So I took a look at the master cylinder just in case. It looked ok, with no visible leaks.

The next step was to try to bleed the system. I had read that bleeding the slave could be a bitch. With the front still raised on stands, I took off the cap, filled the reservoir with brake fluid and the undid the slave nipple. At this point I had a brain fart and decided to get out from under the car and go for an oil can and some hose so I could reverse bleed the system.
    When I got back I found a nice puddle under the car and a constant leak from the nipple, nice. I hand tightened the nipple and went to pour in some more fluid. As I did I noticed bubbles appearing in the reservoir , so I kept adding fluid. After a few minutes the bubbles stopped.
    I checked the pedal again and hazaa! It worked. I finally had resistance and I could engage the gears.

So in my case the bleeding was actually very easy, although messy. I guess it was the open nipple and the nose up attitude of the car that made it easier.
    My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
    http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

There are only a few dumb things the BMW engineers did...the placement of the slave cylinder bleed nipple is one of them. Bavauto makes a clamping fixture for bleeding the slave, you unbolt the slave from the bellhousing, clamp it in the fixture so the piston doesn't pop out, and orient the assembly with the bleed screw facing upwards, then proceed to bleed.

Comment

Working...
    X