Getrag 260 shifter linkage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 shifter linkage question

Hi, I'm doing a b25 swap and manual swap in a 87 325e. I have a getrag 260 transmission and I just got a shifter from a 91 318i and the shift linkage is longer than the one that's attached on the transmission. Also I got the long shifter mount instead of the stamped steel one. Will this work? Which combo of shifter mount and shift shaft would I need?

Thank you

The shifter depends on the variation of transmission you have. The early models used the stamped steel. The later used the rod style. Some years, I think 87 could use either. You will use the one for the transmission you are using, not your cars model year. The problem I see is the shifter you have is for a G240, Not a G260. They are not interchangeable.
    sigpic
    Steve Corbett
    1983 528E Scrapped
    1983 528E Sold
    1984 745I
    1984 325E - Sold
    1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
    1989 325I Zinno
    1988 635CSI

Comment

Ok. So he has a 260 mid year with both mounts.
      Picked up a shifter assy. With shift arm from a 90 or 91 318 this weekend but not sure if it's right. The linkage that came with this one is much longer than the one we originally had.

Also, do all e30s have a bracket in the trans tunnel for the shift arm (rear support)

Comment

Are you talking about part 1 or 11? Either way, They are 4 or 6 cylinder specific. You can not use a 318 rod on a 325 Transmission.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/pict...ictureid=16172
        sigpic
        Steve Corbett
        1983 528E Scrapped
        1983 528E Sold
        1984 745I
        1984 325E - Sold
        1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
        1989 325I Zinno
        1988 635CSI

Comment

For #11 we have a long and a short one. As for #1, I take it that the the one from a 318 will not work on a 325 either?
          What about the shifter itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Supratreo View Post
            Ok. So he has a 260 mid year with both mounts.
            Picked up a shifter assy. With shift arm from a 90 or 91 318 this weekend but not sure if it's right. The linkage that came with this one is much longer than the one we originally had.

Also, do all e30s have a bracket in the trans tunnel for the shift arm (rear support)
            Early earlyyyyy models didn't have a bracket in the tranny tunnel because of the early style shift carriers.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Thanks, I checked yesterday and I believe this one has the provision for the mount.
              So what do people with the earlier cars do? Custom mount? Just curious.

Comment

Looks like Earl Models have the mount bracket also.
                sigpic
                Steve Corbett
                1983 528E Scrapped
                1983 528E Sold
                1984 745I
                1984 325E - Sold
                1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                1989 325I Zinno
                1988 635CSI

Comment

One other question. How do you know what rod joint to get? This is a mid year trans with mounting holes for both types of shifter arms and currently has the ofset joint.

Comment

I'm tagging alone in this thread as I have a similar problem.

I have an older E30 (323i -85) which is designed to use the old style of linkage (stamped steel)

Now I need to mount a gearbox that is designed to work with the new style of linkage (alu rod)

Is that possible?

Assume I get all the parts needed from the drawing below, but...

Question 1 : Will my current gear stick fit into the #1 alu rod?
                    Question 2 : Will the new mount #8 fit my older chassis?

Here's the new gearbox (left) and the original gearbox (right)

Last edited by bmw-slangen; 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

what you need is this:

having said that, i believe only the getrag 265 trannies had a mounting provision for this bracket. you could probably re-tap the transmission you have there and make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                        what you need is this:

having said that, i believe only the getrag 265 trannies had a mounting provision for this bracket. you could probably re-tap the transmission you have there and make that work.
                        Thanks, but you have misunderstod my problem.

The gearbox I'm trying to mount is already designed to work with the new style, so no converter needed there (it's everything else I'm worried about) :-)

Read my post again and you will understand the problem (I updated the post slightly since it was slightly ambigous and could be misunderstood) :-)

Comment

So this was a 5 speed car to start with, correct?
                          sigpic
                          Steve Corbett
                          1983 528E Scrapped
                          1983 528E Sold
                          1984 745I
                          1984 325E - Sold
                          1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                          1989 325I Zinno
                          1988 635CSI

Comment

I see, sorry about that...

All you need is the matching shift linkage to the transmission that you purchased.

The gear lever you have should fit in the new aluminum carrier but I'd suggest getting something like a Z3 1.9 lever to decrease the shift length. As long as the selector rod and aluminum arm are matching to the transmission you should be good to go.

Comment

Correct Steve Corbett, it had a 5-speed Getrag 260/5 already at the production assembly.

@dude8383 : Yeah, the Z3 1.9 (and also E36 M3 here in Europe) does have a slighlty longer lower fulcrum so if I get hold of one of those I might go for that.

But in reality I want a better solution with an extended gear stick much closer to the steering wheel. But that have to wait for now...

But what about detail #8? Are you sure that can be mounted in the chassis in my car?

My chassis uses a different mounting plate, #6

Need to take a closer look... Or do you know for sure?

Comment

Working...
                              X