Complete shifter rebuild p/n's help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete shifter rebuild p/n's help ?

Sup guys i've been wanting to do a complete shifter rebuild since my shifter is ridiculously off with a TON of play and i've decided to go with blunttechs ssk ( https://www.blunttech.com/products/4017774 ) but i've been going back and forth on realoem to notice that some parts that should be replaced aren't included which is why I need help to know which parts should be replaced and which don't need to be. I'm familiar with the bitch clip and such but still a noob to the rest of the shift linkage along with its bushings and all that. Any info/advice is really appreciated. :-)
    FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
    My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Early model 5sp(g240?) don't have the bitch clip so you don't have to worry about that. That kit complete with exception to the shift rod and the rubber boot. The bolt for the bracket is probably rusted and you will need new ones.
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
      Early model 5sp(g240?) don't have the bitch clip so you don't have to worry about that. That kit complete with exception to the shift rod and the rubber boot. The bolt for the bracket is probably rusted and you will need new ones.
      Actually its still a getrag 260 so i gotta deal with the bitch clip and which rubber boot and bracket would that be ? I read on different forums that the shaft seal should also be replaced but not sure which since theres two..

Comment

^ #2 replace with delrin bushing.
        #13 rod joint, there are two types. make sure you check before you order.
        I think cut off year is 87.
        #6 shifter cup.
        #8 carrier bracket support.
        #9 the rusted bolt.
        #7 rubber boot if yours is torn.
        along with various o rings and shims.

Replace both selector rod seal and shaft seal, #17 and #13. and 23211490120 (output shaft nut retainer) while your there.
        sigpic
        327is
        325es
        325es
        318is
        Fiesta ST
        E46 M3

Comment

You appear to have an 84 and an 89. Both have the 260 transmission, but the 84 has the sheet metal shift carrier and the 89 has the aluminum shift carrier (with bitch clip). The parts differ somewhat.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Look at RTSauto for their write up.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              You appear to have an 84 and an 89. Both have the 260 transmission, but the 84 has the sheet metal shift carrier and the 89 has the aluminum shift carrier (with bitch clip). The parts differ somewhat.
              So if I happen to have a sheet metal shift carrier should I upgrade to the aluminum one ? I also want to be able to run uuc's evo 3 dssr for tight shifting

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                Look at RTSauto for their write up.
                By design E30 shifters are doomed to go sloppy over time because the materials that keep it tight are made out of things like rubber and hard plastic. Here is the no-bullshit way of getting that shifter tight again. You will need parts 6 and 13 from the dealer. Part 2 from a third

that one ? i've read it and its given me some insight but still doesn't seem to me that its 100 percent for a shifter rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post

^ #2 replace with delrin bushing.
                  #13 rod joint, there are two types. make sure you check before you order.
                  I think cut off year is 87.
                  #6 shifter cup.
                  #8 carrier bracket support.
                  #9 the rusted bolt.
                  #7 rubber boot if yours is torn.
                  along with various o rings and shims.

Replace both selector rod seal and shaft seal, #17 and #13. and 23211490120 (output shaft nut retainer) while your there.
                  So all those mentioned above should be replaced. Got it. For the rod joint(#13) i'm going to get the late model one since I want to run uuc's evo 3 dssr. Now time to note down some p/n's..

Comment

Make sure your transmission has the provision to mount the new late model shifer assembly. Not all G260's do. The Early models can only run a early sheet metal shifter. The mid series can run either.
                    sigpic
                    Steve Corbett
                    1983 528E Scrapped
                    1983 528E Sold
                    1984 745I
                    1984 325E - Sold
                    1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                    1989 325I Zinno
                    1988 635CSI

Comment

This is what the early model shift linkage looks like:

This is the late model:

Depending on what year your car has, the parts will vary slightly. You can change an early model to a late model style shifter, but it isn't considered an upgrade, it's just different. In fact, several people actually prefer the early model one as it tends to be a little tighter feeling.

Comment

Just realized what you guys meant about sheet metal shifter...

Found a pic showing the difference as well..

crap... I guess I won't have do deal with any bitch clip but also it looks like I can't install any dssr since the late model rod joint is required. Can anyone confirm this ?

Comment

Working...
                        X