Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between 'i' and 'e' Shifter Arm / Selector Rod??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between 'i' and 'e' Shifter Arm / Selector Rod??

Hey everyone,

Just finished a 5spd swap ('89i G260 replacing a '91i 4HP22 auto). When I out in the tranny with shifter linkage installed it looks like the shift lever is too far forward, and not at all centered in the hole it comes up through (See Picture).

I called the guy I got all the swap parts from, and gave him the p/n for the aluminum shifter arm he gave me - he said it was from a 325e, and also said that he didn't think there's any difference in dimension..

I tried rotating my (bent) shift lever 180*, just makes it even closer to the top of the hole... Also looked at motor mounts, but they were in good condition and centered.

What do you guys think??? It sucks that the whole project is at a stand still because of ~1inch!! I guess it has to be a different length part... ??

Need help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Waffle cone; 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM. Reason: Adding picture

Looking at RealOEM, The E and IX used the sheet metal shift arm and a different length shift rod then the I used with the aluminum shift arm. I have both and can measure but my I rod seems to have been cut and welded for an unknown reason.

sigpic
    Steve Corbett
    1983 528E Scrapped
    1983 528E Sold
    1984 745I
    1984 325E - Sold
    1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
    1989 325I Zinno
    1988 635CSI

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I just need to know if there are different length aluminum shift arms??? Because mine definitely seems short - I can't think of any other reason why the shift lever wouldn't be centered.. :S

Comment

Working...
      X