Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise coming from diff?

Hey guys

So I have a 1987 325is. When I got the car, the LSD was pretty damn noisy. I mean even with the crazy loud exhaust that the PO had on it, all you could hear on the highway was the ridiculously loud sound from the read end. I had an open diff in the garage that didn't make noise, so I decided to try out the thing where you swap the LSD unit from one diff case into the other. I swapped the LSD unit from my noisy LSD into the quiet open diff.

Now, I have an LSD that works well and locks up perfectly but it still makes a ton of noise. However, the difference now is that when I move the steering wheel left the noise goes away. Turn the steering wheel back towards the middle and the noise comes back again.

The noise is one of those noises that starts getting noticeable around 25 mph and gets louder as you speed up.

I'm not sure if I just put the diff together incorrectly or what. If anyone has an idea as to what the noise might be, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say it's a wheel bearing, i'm having the same issue right now. Or the carrier bearing inside the LSD unit.

Comment

Noise coming from diff?

Check Wheel bearings; if they haven't been done yet they are likely due anyways
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
      X