Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeak/Squeal After Short Shifter Install

Howdy everyone,

So I decided to purchase one of those nifty (and super cheap) ebay short shifter rods for my '89 Vert, and aside from a circle clip that needed heavy modification to install, the gearbox is beautifully tight and notchy.

The issue I'm running into now is that when the car is in second gear and moving, I get a squeak or squeal noise that sounds like it's coming right form under the shift boot. Some notes I took while troubleshooting:

- The noise does not occur in any other gear, only second
    - The noise does not occur while stationary (in second gear, and revving the engine does not produce the noise)
    - The noise was not present with the previous shifter (leading me to believe my transmission is fine)
    - The noise is accompanied by some vibration that seems to be originating from under the shift boot, perhaps with the linkage?
    - The noise/vibration gets louder/squealier when holding the shifter into the second gear position more forcibly

Additionally, I greased the bulky part that slots into where the shift cup goes, but I did not grease the part that goes directly into the linkage. I'm not thinking this is a grease issue b/c of the fact that it only makes noise while moving and only in one gear.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to look for when I get back under the car this evening?

Could be rubbing on the driveshaft. Look for scratches around the circumference of the DS where it would meet the linkage.

Comment

Originally posted by PacificExposure View Post
      Could be rubbing on the driveshaft. Look for scratches around the circumference of the DS where it would meet the linkage.
      After getting under the car tonight, this is exactly what is happening. The fixes I've found are to remove the harmonic balancer or to bend the selector rod.

Does anyone have any advice on which is easier for a novice working on their car in their garage?

Additionally, are there pre-bent selector rods that are made to fit e30's? The ones I have seen all seem to be for e46 and newer.

Comment

Originally posted by movet22 View Post

After getting under the car tonight, this is exactly what is happening. The fixes I've found are to remove the harmonic balancer or to bend the selector rod.

Does anyone have any advice on which is easier for a novice working on their car in their garage?

Additionally, are there pre-bent selector rods that are made to fit e30's? The ones I have seen all seem to be for e46 and newer.
        What did you end up doing as the solution? I'm in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post

What did you end up doing as the solution? I'm in the same boat.
          After a bit of searching around these forums, the solution most people go with seems to be to remove the harmonic balancer.

Comment

Thanks.
            I'm going to give bending the selector rod a shot in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
              Thanks. I'm going to give bending the selector rod a shot in the coming weeks.
              I’ve heard of some people cutting a notch out of the rod or grinding it down. Best of luck Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X