E30 Clunking from somewhere in my driveline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Clunking from somewhere in my driveline

I have a 1991 325i and am trying to get to the root of this issue. It only happens if i load up hard on the driveline. Plus it only happens once when put in 1st then again in revers. My first suspicion was the the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the differential were loose, but that wasn't the case. If anyone has any ideas or has dealt with a similar problem please let me know.

Here is the link to a short video I made of the problem, between clunks I shift from 1st to reverse, also the jack stands are on the control arms so it is sitting at ride height.

Originally posted by mars_colt View Post
    I have a 1991 325i and am trying to get to the root of this issue. It only happens if i load up hard on the driveline. Plus it only happens once when put in 1st then again in revers. My first suspicion was the the bolts connecting the driveshaft to the differential were loose, but that wasn't the case. If anyone has any ideas or has dealt with a similar problem please let me know.

Here is the link to a short video I made of the problem, between clunks I shift from 1st to reverse, also the jack stands are on the control arms so it is sitting at ride height.

https://youtu.be/0D_9O4QbWPM
    Probably outer CV joint.

Comment

I'll probably just replace that. Last winter i dropped the rear subframe and welded in reinforcements, did break lines, LSD, new bushings, and one CV axle so its definitely possible that its the other one.

Comment

Working...
      X