Throw out bearing & Pilot bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw out bearing & Pilot bearing question

I can't quite figure out which is wrong with my e30. Whenever I barely press in my clutch & when its fully depressed, I hear a kinda loud whining noise.

I know the problem is either the throw out bearing or pilot bearing, but how I do know which one is the problem. Also, does it make sense to repair those parts on a used clutch, or should I wait to buy a new clutch to make those repairs too?

Do the whole clutch while you have the tranny off. It sounds like the TO bearing to me. You don't want to do the same shitty job twice.

1989 325iX
    1995 540i
    1986 325eS R.I.P.
    1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

replace EVERYTHING YOU CAN when you take the tranny out
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

word of experience. if you're taking your tranny off, buy a clutch kit and replace it all from clutch to TO bearing and the pilot bearing too (which might be a female dog to get out)

i had an 86 corolla and replaced it all ex the pilot bearing and guess what...500mi later i had to take it all apart again!

but...the noise should occur when the clutch pedal is out. when its pressed down it usually goes away ~ Throw out bearing symptom.
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

live with it if you can, until ur clutch goes.

Comment

its ur to bearing. mine was fine until 20 clutck kicks after the break in period.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
              its ur to bearing. mine was fine until 20 clutck kicks after the break in period.
              shouln't have happened unless it was a faulty bearing... maybe the fork or retainers (if this car has any) got loose. wrong grease did it for my buddy's car.
              Originally posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
              live with it if you can, until ur clutch goes.
              NO!!:crazy:
              'cause then come transmission problems...and you'll still have to do all the transmission removal job + clutch, imput shaft bearing, seals and idk but that sounds like a bad desicion...although i lived with noisy TO bearing for almost a year and no prob.
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
              X