linkage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linkage question

the linkage input on the back of the tranny, does the long side go toward pass or driver?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Toward the passenger side.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

damn, trhats what i thought
      i can get the pin in there but it wont pivot, but if i put it in upside down it works out fine. pin can slide through both the linkage and the tranny input idividually
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

serious issue here, i can get the pin into it with it facing the correct way, but it doesnt move freely, it binds when you try to move it left to right, what should i do about this? should i drill out the hole a little bit or what??

Comment

What binds? If you're doing it right it should all be a really tight fit that is difficult to move from under the car. That will translate to good solid lever feel.
          Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

the tranny is out of the car
            when you push left to right one the circular portion is doesnt move, is this right?
            i guess it could be, im just going by what ive seen on older warnout peices, like the one that came off

Comment

?

Comment

seriously id like a final answer

Comment

The factory service manual isn't clear on which side the offset is on. In one place (25-10, picture 32.25.054) it says and shows the offset to the left with the rod on the right. In other pictures it shows the rod on the left.

On page 25-09

If shift rod joint has an offset bearing sleeve, install the bearing
                  sleeve offset to the right as seen looking forward. Install offset to
                  the left in cars with a vibration damper and bent shift rod.

Comment

this has been established, the new question is, is it supposed to move left to right freely ie rotate about the pin that holds it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                      this has been established, the new question is, is it supposed to move left to right freely ie rotate about the pin that holds it in place.
                      Yes. The joint on the transmission side is a U-joint, not a single-axis pivot.
                      There should be a foam/felt pad inside the joint that both holds grease and provides a little pre-load to prevent the joint from being too loose.
                      25-11-1-434-194 Felt/foam "washer" (oil pad) for shift linkage $0.43

I'm waiting for someone to report on the following part, which might be "better"
                      25-11-2-226-585 M3 "shim", denser than standard e30 rubber buffer $1.60/1.36

I swapped my worn asymetrical joint and shift rod for a newer-style symetrical joint so I didn't need to decide which way the shift rod goes on. When I was looking in the boneyard before my transmission swap I noticed that every car with an asymetrical joint had a sloppy shifter linkage. Every car with a symetrical joint was either tight or only slightly loose. It appears that BMW redesigned the joint with a longer-wearing material.

Comment

Working...
                      X