im going to melt my tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im going to melt my tranny

ive been trying to get this damn thing back in for the past 3 days, ive realigned the clutch 3 or 4 times the tool can be put in and pulled out with the lightest of touches, but i still cant get that damn thing in.

it gets to about 1/2 inch away from being together but then it just stops, this happened to me last time i put it in and this happened i just realigned the damn clutch and bam it went in, but this time no dice, what else should i try for?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Check your dowle (SP?) pins. Make sure that they are in correctly and not damaged. Also check to make sure that there are no wires in your way.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

the dowel pins that hold on the flywheel?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

he probably means the ones pressed into the block or tranny that align them. Sometimes if the tranny isn't original there will be both a dowel stuck in the block and one stuck in the same hole on the tranny
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Are you able to get any of the bolts started to help suck it in?
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

i can only get one started but doing that makes it harder to get the others in and i dont wanna force it too much

Comment

I would get two longer bolts from the hardware store on each side and start snugging them up. It will eventually fall into place if the clutch disk is on the splines of the input shaft at all...On my car i had to lift up on the tail and just manually just shove it in and then got the bolts started.
              :: PNW Crew ::
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

yeah thats what i did
                but last time i did it (bout 2 weeks ago) it slid all the way in, god damn carquest machine shop for all of this

im really nervous about just using bolts to pull it in if it doesnt want to go in

Comment

make sure its in neutral and lube up the input shaft :idea:

Comment

it sounds like your pilot bearing is misaligned
                    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

if its in neutral you cant align the splines correctly, and its greased
                      how would the pilot be misalinged?
                      honest to god i put the damn thing in 2 weeks ago how could it be aligned then and not now, i can slide the alginment tool in all day.

so frustrating

Comment

Just wiggle the tranny around while pushing it in. Eventually, I will fall into place. Trannys rarely slip in easily first try.

-Erik

Comment

I put two or three studs in the back of the motor and use them as guides. They also support the weight of the trans so it's easier to wiggle it in. I'm a weakling and can barely hold the thing up in the first place. Make sure the heater/air hoses haven't sagged down between the block and trans. There are two sizes of pilot bearings on some models. If the front shaft has been changed that could be the problem also.

Comment

negative, like i said i have had this transmission in about 2 weeks ago, and thanks to an unbalanced flywheel i had to take it back out, what a nightmare this has become...

Comment

finally got this damn thing in there, buttoned up the car runs great, ive been driving a truck for 4 weeks and ive forgotten what its like to drive a car that sits low to the ground, i missed it

Originally posted by 1991 318is View Post
                              Make sure the heater/air hoses haven't sagged down between the block and trans.
                              you were so close dude, it was the starter, hangin through its hole in the sheetmetal thing

Comment

Working...
                              X