Shifter disconnected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter disconnected?

today I hopped into my (already running) car and when i shifted into reverse, i felt a weird "pop" and all of a sudden i could move my shifter freely any which way. Like it wasn't connected to anything anymore. So i had to have it towed cause i was 6 miles from home and the car wouldn't go into any gear. What do you guys think i should look at first? I doubt its anything major....?

Andy
    1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
    1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
    1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
    1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Yeah, it sounds like something just came disconnected. Get under the car and check out the linkage. If everything is tight and connected, then you are fucked. Otherwise the problem should be fairly obvious.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Mine did this but the rod broke that went from the shifter to the trans. But mine the shift handle started to twist on me and i had no 5th. It did not pop like your's

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

this happened to me and it turned out to be a $30 dollar part and a 10 minute fix. The steel rod that the shifter pivots on broke on me and i got stuck in forth gear for a couple days until i got around to fixing it.

Comment

Working...
        X