Requesting Help with a Peculiar Shifter Orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting Help with a Peculiar Shifter Orientation

Picked up a very mechanically solid/cosmetically decent '87 Eta on the cheap for a daily driver. The transmission has to be by far the smoothest and most quiet out of all the various E30's I have owned. Only problem is that the shifter is oriented up and off to the left of the standard positioning. The Transmission engages very well, just off of the normal path. I'm ignorant when it comes to transmissions/shifters as I normally deal with routine maintenance and engine issue diagnosis. I had been told that this may be resolved with a simple part. So I'm curious as to exactly what is causing this and what precise steps I should take to resolve this. I'm also wondering if this might give me a weak excuse to purchase a Z3 short shifter if it is somehow related in the least. Pics are as follows:

Transmission in Neutral

Transmission engaged in First gear.

And finally, the transmission engaged in Fourth gear which coincides with what should be Neutral with a typical scenario.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

You need to disconnnect the linkage from the lever and then spin the lever 180 degrees ..then put the linkage back on .

Seems like some tool connected the shift lever backwards when they did a clutch job or some other job .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
      You need to disconnnect the linkage from the lever and then spin the lever 180 degrees ..then put the linkage back on .

Seems like some tool connected the shift lever backwards when they did a clutch job or some other job .
      Now would this be something that can be achieved from the top or am I going to have to drop the transmission? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Comment

Sorry but a 2nd post is asking too much at this point .

A little searching will do you some good .

Comment

Sorry but a 2nd post is asking too much at this point .

A little searching will do you some good .
          Thank you your majesty. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McCooney View Post
            Thank you your majesty. ;)

Haha . :D

Just pipe down and crawl under there already . :P

Comment

Haha . :D

Just pipe down and crawl under there already . :P
              Will do. Thanks again.