Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im a noob and already have to fix my trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im a noob and already have to fix my trans.

my friend did not know how to drive stick and ended up switchin gears without usin the clutch. after he put it in gear the car grinded and went into neutral then stalled out.

he said that it is normal for that sometimes to happen, but the shift linkage was really loose after.

as i was coastin home from school then entire shifter was loose and could not even put it in gear and had to push it up my driveway... which is a long uphill driveway...

so i just bought this car, and it already needs to be fixed.

how do i do it guys?

i do not know e30s very well at all mechanically but im a fast learner.

please dont flame... i need my car to be runnin asap.
    2008 Sentra Spec V ( Header Back Exhaust, Coilovers, Rays Engineering 57f 18*8.5 awaiting tires)
    1989 BMW 325i (is leaving soon...)

busted selector rod sounds like, easy fix
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

ok so what should i do?

and how long will it take?
      2008 Sentra Spec V ( Header Back Exhaust, Coilovers, Rays Engineering 57f 18*8.5 awaiting tires)

Comment

look for an article about installing a short shifter
        i think theres a good one on understeer.com that was made for an e36 but its the same process for an e30, do this up until the point where you remove the selector rod, then replace it with a new one, dont worry about ripping out the interior stuff, this is not necessary

it will involve you reaching around the driveshaft, in the understeer article the driveshaft is removed, this is unecessary and would add alot of time to the job.

i myself could do this job in maybe 15 minutes
        but it might be a little more difficult if you havent messed around in that area much
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

C'mon - you can do this, no problem - besides, you live on the west coast!

Comment

ok so i opened up the assembly and sure enough... selector rod!

problem is its busted right at the connecting piece so i did a little redneck fix with the help of my friend.

wont go into reverse... sigh.

gonna take the piece to get welded or search for a new selector rod.

Comment

just saying, this problem could be avoided if you didnt let an idiot drive your car.

ok now, they are 15 bucks at a junk yard, i have to get another one too after breaking mine in half while pulling my engine.

it isn't worth having it welded because its aluminum and they are so cheap used.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

make that a shifter arm broken too :/

Comment

i told you to get a new one

Comment

im going to.

Comment

Working...
                    X