tranny problems help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny problems help!!

when i shift into first it sometimes pops out and makes a grinding noise but if i shift into second first then to first it never does it.. also it will not go straight into 3rd i have to like push it in half way then wait a sec then itll go all the way.. reverse and fifth gear seem to work fine... also if i downshift to 3rd itll always grind a little bit and i have to push it in really slow.. anybody have any ideas? i have like no clue

Could it be the throwout bearing? :loco: I am not to familier with trannies though, so that is my guess

Comment

Originally posted by buhnahnuh View Post
      Could it be the throwout bearing? :loco: I am not to familier with trannies though, so that is my guess

If you dont know, dont speculate.

Your syncros are going out in your transmission. Time for a new tranny or a rebuild. It will just continue to get worse.
      sigpic

Comment

ahh i had a feeling it was the synchros.. well i looked under the tranny and there was a lot of oil around it.. and it looked like it was dripping..i dont know if this is normal? all the gears sound kinda noisy so if there wasnt enough transmission fluid could that cause it?

Comment

Drain the tranny fluid. If it looks like metallic paint, your syncro's are shot.

Other things to check while you are under your car.
          Transmission mounts
          Shift linkage

And yes, low fluid will cause all kinds of problems (Duh).
          Fill it up and see what happens.

Keith

Comment

I alwasy assume one stays on top of fluids as a responsible motorist. I hate being wrong. :)
            sigpic

Comment

alright im gonna try to change it this week.. is there any filters or anything or do i just drain it and fill it back up? i havent had this car for long so i dont know much about it.. my next problem is the oil pan is scraped to hell so i need to replace that :( it leaks all over

Comment

what would be the best place to get a used tranny for cheap? and how hard is it to swap out? im in san diego the only junkyard i know is ecology theres a couple other ones but im not sure where

Comment

alright im havin kinda the same problem. but its just in first (popping out thing), the other gears are fine. but i have tons of play with the shifter. could this possibly be because of worn bushings and such, or am i looking at the same thing as aharon?
                  Captain, we need more power!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X