Lift Throttle Clunking from the Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lift Throttle Clunking from the Rear

I have a pronounced clunk that occurs from what sounds like the rear of the car whenever I abruptly lift the throttle in a lower gear and get the car to jerk (kinda like a bad driver). I also noticed that if I engage the clutch immediately after hearing this and quickly move the shifter back and forth from first to second gear it sounds and feels a bit clunky, too. After moving the shifter back and forth about four times it stops making the noise/feeling and shifts smoothly.

Any ideas? I thought this may be a CV axle, and I replaced the passenger's side due to axial play in the shaft (approx. 1/8 - 3/16 inch of play if you pushed the axle back and forth from the diff to the rear hub). This amount of play seemed to be excessive. The driver's side has a slight amount, but not nearly like the passenger's did. I replaced the worn axle without drama.

My guesses (I am new to these cars) are:

- Worn rear subframe mounts (yuck)
    - Something wrong with the driveshaft (yuck)
    - Something wrong with the differential (yuck)
    - Worn bushings in the trailing arms, diff and/or upper shock mount (not bad)

What do the gurus here think? I am kind of bummed as I know that I need to spend at least $500 to fix the worn timing components and I'd like to replace the OE suspension so that I can autocross this car. Sigh...

Car is 318i with factory LSD (120K miles)

Diff mount.

Comment

Working...
    X