e28 diff for e30?? please help us!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e28 diff for e30?? please help us!!!

As yall know there's a lot of talk about running with a e28 diff on our e30's by changing the e28 coverplate and flanges with parts from a e30 diff.. But who actually did this???

We're a couple of guys over here in Denmark, Europe planning on doing this. Two of the other guys already tried it and came to the conclusion that the e30 coverplate DID'NT line up with the e28 housing.
    On the e28 housing there is 3½ inches between the holes on the bottomside.. and with 3,9 inches on the e30 coverplate this does'nt line up... WHAT TO DO????

I really want to hear from someone who actually tried this.. not just someone who read it on some website... WHO TRIED IT???? Please help us...

Which e30 diff are you trying to swap the coverplate off?

If it's coming off a 318,316,320, it has a small-case diff.

The e30 medium-case diff has the same cover plate as the e28 medium-case diff.

this is the e30 medium-case diff.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Sounds weird.. One of the other guys tried it with a e28 diff and a e30 325 medium case coverplate.. Did'nt line up.. how can that be??? And i know another dude that tried it with the same result.. maybe it IS impossible to do?

Comment

Many of the E30 cars in Europe have the small diff, even the 6 cylinder cars. If that is the diff you have there really aren't any good ways to go for an upgrade that is super simple.

Disreguard what kronus posted as the diff in the drawing isn't the "Medium" case diff, but the small one. Real OEM is great for most parts, but they have the wrong drawing for this one, at least for the North American version of the 325e.

Take a look at the photo I have attached. The diff in the center is the "medium" case diff. To the left is the small case and to the right is the large case. FYI there are two different large case diffs from the 1980's and they can't be used in the E30 cars. The diff in the center is the "one size fits all" diff and it came with the rear cover for the E23, E24, E28, and the E30 cars. All of the covers interchange on this diff. The stub axles for the E30 are different from all the other models and are smaller. But, you can't use the axles from the small case E30 diff in it.

I have swapped over 100 diffs from the E28 style to the E30 style or E30 to E28 and I understand what you are trying to do.

If you can't find the rear cover and stub axles for the E30 medium case diff where you live contact me and I will help you out.

germancarsonly@gmail.com

Comment

D'oh, sorry. The point of my post is still valid, though :)
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by RonRon.dk View Post
            As yall know there's a lot of talk about running with a e28 diff on our e30's by changing the e28 coverplate and flanges with parts from a e30 diff.. But who actually did this???

We're a couple of guys over here in Denmark, Europe planning on doing this. Two of the other guys already tried it and came to the conclusion that the e30 coverplate DID'NT line up with the e28 housing.
            On the e28 housing there is 3½ inches between the holes on the bottomside.. and with 3,9 inches on the e30 coverplate this does'nt line up... WHAT TO DO????

I really want to hear from someone who actually tried this.. not just someone who read it on some website... WHO TRIED IT???? Please help us...
            I did it today to a 3.73 open and it took me half an hour cause I had never done it before on a bimmer.

It was extremely easy.

It is not installed yet but I'll let you know how it is when the car is drivable.

Andy

EDIT:I did it to the one far right of germancarsonly post
            -Andy

Comment

Maybe I didn't read the question as closely as I should have. The E28 diff that you have might be one of the large case diffs and if it is then you can't use it. There are 4 or maybe even 5 different rear covers for the "Medium" case diff and they all interchange. That way you can use the E28 diff in the E30 or put the E30 diff in a E24 or whatever. There isn't a rear cover for the big diffs that fits the E30 chassis.

Comment

I know this is a very old post but I now exactly what you talking about some e28 diffs don’t fit whit the e30 188 diff cover I had the same problem all holes fit except the lower two

Comment

Working...
                X