Reverse 1st and 3rd not going in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse 1st and 3rd not going in gear

For the past couple days I have been having trouble getting into first, but the rest of the gears have been fine.

This morning I could not get it into first, third or reverse without numerous tries.

I have a B&M short shifter but it has not given me any problems in the time I have had it.

The shifter seemed a little stiff but I assumed it was due to the cold making the bushings stiff.

Help!

2007 X3
    2005 ZHP (Eurowerkz)
    2000 328i (Sold)
    1995 318ti
    1988 325 is
    1985 318i (Parted)

Do you have difficulty in selecting any of those gears with the engine off? Or does this only happen when the engine is running and the clutch is disengaged? Does it get better after the car is driven a while?

If the answer to (1) is no and (2) is yes, you may have a clutch problem. If (1) is no and (3) is yes, a change of transmission fluid (I like Redline MTL) may help. If (1) is yes the problem may be in the transmission or shifter.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

1. yes
      2. I don't know but for the 1st gear problem it seemed that it did get better when it warmed up.

2007 X3
      2005 ZHP (Eurowerkz)
      2000 328i (Sold)
      1995 318ti
      1988 325 is
      1985 318i (Parted)

Comment

Get under the car and check that your selector rod is still connected to the selector input on the trans.

If everything in the shifter linkage seems solid, you have a problem with the internal shift fork which may require a trans rebuild to fix.
        cars beep boop

Comment

OK for record purposes:

The shifter slipped up in the carrier and it was causing the linkage to get caught.

Fix: Took my "The Club" beat it back down.

Cause: Forgot to reinstall clip to keep the shifter seated in the carrier.

2007 X3
          2005 ZHP (Eurowerkz)
          2000 328i (Sold)
          1995 318ti
          1988 325 is
          1985 318i (Parted)

Comment

Working...
          X