87 eta trans on 88 SETA/ late model car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 eta trans on 88 SETA/ late model car

Based on all my reading (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-info?t=109919) a 260.0.1270.90
    "late eta" G260 should work with my SETA motor. Single mass flywheel, all 'i' parts throw out, clutch, fork, slave.

I installed this 87 G260 on my car after my last trans died. After install, once we installed the same slave, the clutch pedal was rock hard. Could barely push the pedal. The solution we found was to put 3 washers between the slave and the bellhousing.
    This got some pedal travel, and I drove the car successfully for about a week.
    After a bit, it got hard to get the car in 1st from a standstill, and sometimes difficult to get into 2nd from 1st. Also hard to get into R. After that once im moving, shifting, rev matching, etc was totally fine for other gears.
    I pulled the slave back out tonight, to see if i could adjust the slave position to get more engagement of the clutch, since I thought difficulty shifting into 1st meant the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way.
    The push rod actually came out of the slave during removal, and was stuck in the bellhousing hole. Reassembled slave.
    I removed 1 washer (2 total now). Pedal went rock hard. I put 1 washer back (back to 3) and the pedal was still rock hard! Original config now doesn't work.
    I added a 4th washer, and then i blew the slave out when i pushed on the pedal.
    I'm fairly confident that i assembled the bearing/fork assembly correctly on install. Currently looking for a new late model trans, but wondering if anyone had ideas.
    It feels like the slave is too long to fully disengage the clutch (hence why spacing it out helped) but also its too short to fully disengage the clutch (hard shifting). The trans shifts fine with the car off.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Fixed. Pivot pin broke, bearing somehow got 90deg rotated, and needed the thicker "euro" bearing for the deeper bell-housing.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
    X