Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Differential drive flange end play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Differential drive flange end play?

I'm struggling to find the source of a clunking noise in the right rear. At least it seems to be the right rear. New bushings, half shafts and bearings within the last 5 - 8k miles (basically all the bushings in the rear of the car). There appears to be end play in the differential drive flanges. How much is too much? How hard is it to replace those bearings?

I've pulled the rear seat, and I can hear some road noise but nothing I would attribute to bearing noise. I've had it on jack stands, without the tires, in gear and none of the bearings seam noisy. And of course I can't make it clunk, and don't see any witness marks that would suggest something moving around.

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

The flanges just "pop" into place with a clip holding them in. You can literally pop them out with a pry bar. Some in and out play is normal.

When does it clunk? Over bumps? On acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      When does it clunk? Over bumps? On acceleration?
      Seems to clunk over bumps. Can't tell a difference drive vs coast side. I want to try to duplicate it with my foot on the brake but haven't be able to. Almost sounds like the rotor is loose. That noise you get when you put a drum or rotor onto the hub?????

I drained the rear differential, no junk in the fluid, nothing metal in the bottom or on the speed sensor. Looking through the drain and fill holes, all the gears look good.

I'm considering swapping the axles from side to side. Pulling them would give me the chance to check the joints along with the wheel bearings. The axles are from BMW and I need to check what brand of bearings I used but they don't have 10k miles on them.

Comment

Have you checked your rear upper shock mounts? They will often cause clunking. Check and make sure the sheet metal isn't torn as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Have you checked your rear upper shock mounts? They will often cause clunking. Check and make sure the sheet metal isn't torn as well.
          Swapped the shocks side to side. No change. Was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Working...
          X