X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Torsen swap

Hi there,
    I have a 90 325i.
    I am planning on swapping my 4.10 open rear diff with 3.64 torsen from 01 z3. After my manual swap the 4.10 is too short.
    I did some researching and collected some info. I just have few questions:
    -I Want reuse my old cover. Can I do that? Would I have problem with the speed sensor? Should I use paper gasket or just sealant as I heard different opinions.
    -Do I need to swap the flanges or that only apply for the 318s?
    -what oil type, brand, viscosity do you recommend for the torsen?
    -while I am at it, what parts should I change/upgrade. Gaskets,seals, bushings?

it s a fun weekend car and not for racing/ tracking by any means.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Nalex View Post
    Hi there,
    I have a 90 325i.
    I am planning on swapping my 4.10 open rear diff with 3.64 torsen from 01 z3. After my manual swap the 4.10 is too short.
    I did some researching and collected some info. I just have few questions:
    -I Want reuse my old cover. Can I do that? Would I have problem with the speed sensor? Should I use paper gasket or just sealant as I heard different opinions.
    -Do I need to swap the flanges or that only apply for the 318s?
    -what oil type, brand, viscosity do you recommend for the torsen?
    -while I am at it, what parts should I change/upgrade. Gaskets,seals, bushings?

it s a fun weekend car and not for racing/ tracking by any means.

Thanks in advance
    -you you can, don't think so, I used rtv and it works great, why go to the trouble of getting a paper gasket when you can use rtv that you have laying around.

-pretty sure you need to swap output flanges, I did.(325e open dif was what I was replacing)

-I used full synthetic 75w140. I figured why have a smaller temp range(75w90)

-if it aint broke/worn/causing an issue don't fix it is my first thought. though your subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings would probably be a good thing to replace unless you've done that recently

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post

-you you can, don't think so, I used rtv and it works great, why go to the trouble of getting a paper gasket when you can use rtv that you have laying around.

-pretty sure you need to swap output flanges, I did.(325e open dif was what I was replacing)

-I used full synthetic 75w140. I figured why have a smaller temp range(75w90)

-if it aint broke/worn/causing an issue don't fix it is my first thought. though your subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings would probably be a good thing to replace unless you've done that recently
      Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
      X