Hard to shift into 1st, only when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to shift into 1st, only when hot

Thought I’d try and get some opinions here.

Changed the clutch slave cylinder on my g260 after installing a clutch masters fx350 and now it has trouble going into first gear (only when the car is hot and has been driven 20+ mins) otherwise it works perfectly which is very frustrating. I’ve bled it 4-5 times using different methods and at first it seems fine because it shifts easily into gear. But once you drive it about 20 mins or so and the car gets nice and hot it doesn’t want to go into first gear anymore from a standstill. I either have to force it in or shift into second and then back into first. It also goes in more easily when rolling to a stop.

I have since replaced the new slave cylinder for another new one, replaced the clutch line with a steel one, replaced the trans fluid and bled the system again... still has the same issue. Any ideas? I just want to enjoy driving my E30 :(

it is possible your first gear synchromesh is going.
    sigpic

Comment

Try to turn off the engine and see if it's any easier. Basically I would confirm the clutch is disengaging fully. I would agree otherwise first gear synchro. If you routinely put the car in first gear faster than maybe 5mph, e.g., you put the car in 1st doing 30mph as you approach a stop sign, you have probably destroyed your 1st gear synchro.

edit: just saw the op is nearly 2 years old...
      Last edited by Jaxx_; 03-19-2022, 12:12 PM.
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
      X