Auto Transmission Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Transmission Leak

I am experiencing an Auto Transmission Oil Leak on my 1989 325i. I bought this car a few months ago and have been gradually fixing its issues.
    I cannot say for sure where the Transmission Oil leak is coming from. It SEEMS that the Transmission Pan is one area (its bolts show oil drops) and perhaps also the Input Shaft Seal because there is some oil coming from the little Plastic Screen under the Bellhousing. The Output Shaft and the Shifter Seal do not SEEM to be leaking.
    I want to replace the Pan Gasket and the Filter and see if that fixes it the leak, before I have to replace the Input Shaft Seal, because that will require the transmission to be removed.

Questions I need help with please:
    1) If the Input Shaft Seal is found to be leaking after I replace the Pan Gasket, Filter and Oil, do I have to drain the Oil again to remove the Transmission and replace the Input Shaft Seal?
    2) Is there any special tool to remove and install the Input Shaft Seal?
    3) Is there a special tool to remove and install the upper bolts in the Transmission Housing? I saw a post that mentions this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-...het-98484.html Any tips to do this job?

BTW if anyone has a Manual Tranny not too expensive , let me know. If I really have to remove the Transmission, this would be a pretty good time to do a swap.

Comment

Working...
    X