Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General M6x Swap Questions

Currently have an m54b30 swap with ZF 5 speed/ 2.93 diff

found an m62b44 w/ no wiring harness or dme for $200. It was used in an X5 so X5 oil pan/ pass through. Figured I could have fun building it up in my garage.

I know you can use the ZF 5 speed with an m6x swap, but need to find a custom clutch for it. Is it worth finding the 420G instead? I wouldnt mind having garagistic make a new shaft, but it seems wasteful when the ZF is all ready to go.

Also is easier to swap to OBDI or try for OBD2 due to the current set up and just have the EWS deleted?

I have the Frank M./Garagistic M6x swap guide but looking to fill a few gaps as I piece things together.

Appreciate any help.

The M5x bellhousing pattern is different than the m62. You need to find a manual for the m62 like the getrag 420g. You may be able to trade for the one you have now.

ODB2 is what I would do. The DMEs are "cracked" and you can code out the EWS. Or have someone do it for you.

Comment

Being from an X5, it's going to be a Vanos engine. It's tough enough to fit the non-Vanos engines in the engine bay, the extra length of the TU engine will make it that much harder. I'd stay away from the one you found and find a pre-8/98 non-Vanos M62 to swap in instead.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
        Being from an X5, it's going to be a Vanos engine. It's tough enough to fit the non-Vanos engines in the engine bay, the extra length of the TU engine will make it that much harder. I'd stay away from the one you found and find a pre-8/98 non-Vanos M62 to swap in instead.
        Would this still be an issue with massaging the firewall to get the engine to sit further back?

I also have an e-fan wired, plan on deleting the brake booster and shaving the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
          The M5x bellhousing pattern is different than the m62. You need to find a manual for the m62 like the getrag 420g. You may be able to trade for the one you have now.

ODB2 is what I would do. The DMEs are "cracked" and you can code out the EWS. Or have someone do it for you.
          Cool cool, the m54/ZF will pay for the 420g and driveshaft. So I guess thatll be the route.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            Where is the length issue?

Comment

The front of the engine, where all the radiator hoses and the intake tube need to fit. The X5 M62 has an external oil separator off the back of the engine as well instead of being inside the timing cover, so that will need to be relocated. Not saying it'll make the swap impossible, just harder.

M62TU's have timing chain issues to deal with also, and the non-Vanos M62's are proven to dyno the highest.
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
              X