diagnostics tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diagnostics tools

Thinking of buying a diagnostics tool for my recently swapped out m60b40 to get the motor in tip top condition (RIP old engine).
    I have a question however. If the electrics of the original e30 car have been modded/butchered during the m60b40 conversion then would a diagnostics tool work correctly or is it likely that unused wires could lead to false information being reported by the tool.

Originally posted by iam View Post
    Thinking of buying a diagnostics tool for my recently swapped out m60b40 to get the motor in tip top condition (RIP old engine).
    I have a question however. If the electrics of the original e30 car have been modded/butchered during the m60b40 conversion then would a diagnostics tool work correctly or is it likely that unused wires could lead to false information being reported by the tool.
    If you're talking about just the engine DME, there should be no issues of misinformation. I don't know how butchered/modded the E30 harness is or what year E30 we're talking about here, but there may be issues with the tool being able to read body related components, IE ABS. If it's an early model, there isn't much in the way of diag info outside the DME anyway. You shouldn't have any issues with engine info if the C101 connector was properly wired into...

Garey

Comment

Thanks for replying bmwmech1.
      Incidentally, I read on a few posts about getting error codes by switching the key to pos 2(i think) and pressing the accelerator pedal 5 times b4 5 seconds. I tried it (for over 10 mins lol) and couldn't get it to work. Would that again be because of the conversion or should that still work too?

Comment

Originally posted by iam View Post
        Thanks for replying bmwmech1.
        Incidentally, I read on a few posts about getting error codes by switching the key to pos 2(i think) and pressing the accelerator pedal 5 times b4 5 seconds. I tried it (for over 10 mins lol) and couldn't get it to work. Would that again be because of the conversion or should that still work too?
        The stomp test may not work because of the conversion. I don't think the info that the DME would send out would get to the cluster properly, but that's just a guess. Good question that I don't have a good answer to...;)

Garey

Comment

Working...
        X