My BMW V8 engine build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Frank, 200 including cleaning and pressure testing etc

They've done the m62tu heads before and was about 500 including taking cams out and to Rebuild all lifters .
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
      and to Rebuild all lifters .
      By "rebuilding" you mean "replacing", or can they actually be rebuilt? (other than washed / cleaned properly?)
      - E34 M5 (x 2) -
      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
      - E46 318i Touring -
      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

I meant each lifter was opened to clean internally and then put back together.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

looks pretty

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Now if you get the heads resurfaced, should you (do u have to) get the block resurfaced as well?
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Depends if they are messed up or not, I bought the smalled possible filler gauges and on the m62tu where both heads warped to 0.006 the block was still perfectly straight.

Comment

just to verify my reading here....
                you're using a rotating assembly from a B44 and heads form a B40, right?

which cams?
                which springs?
                which manifold (intake)?

Did you CC the heads to verify the b40's had a smaller combustion chamber?

how do the intake and exhaust ports look on the 2 versions of the heads?

what are your HP goals with the car?

I am building a M62 as well, and I really want 350 RWHP with it, so I'm doing a dry sump setup on it as well as looking at other mods to get me there.

Comment

350 WHP is going to be 400 or better at the crank... That's S62 power. You'll need some serious work to make that happen with 4.4 litres.

Comment

My guess is the M60B44 conversion will get you just a little above 300hp at the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                      My guess is the M60B44 conversion will get you just a little above 300hp at the crank.
                      M60B40 will make slightly over 300hp at the crank with remap, so when increasing disp & CR by 10% you should be getting 330hp at the crank (in ideal world at least)..
                      - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                      - E46 318i Touring -
                      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

320-330ish at the crank was my guess also.
                        280 +10% for displacement is 308 plus a moderate fudge factor for compression + tune.

IE, if you crack 300 RWHP using stock hard parts, you're doing pretty well.

Now if you're going to have a lot of head & port work, full build with custom pistons, sell your house to buy cams, etc, then you'll get to 350 RWHP after quite a few $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          320-330ish at the crank was my guess also.
                          280 +10% for displacement is 308 plus a moderate fudge factor for compression + tune.

IE, if you crack 300 RWHP using stock hard parts, you're doing pretty well.
                          300 rwhp means roughly 350 hp at the crank, which is maybe bit far for ECU-tuned M60B44 .. ?

Anyhow, looking forward to actual dyno-curves of these engines - sligth head-work and cam-grinding could well put you to 375hp range which starts to be something :)
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

my 540 (m62b44) dyno'd 282 to the rear wheels with just software on it.

so in doing a custom dry sump, custom intake and stand alone, I am hoping to do slightly better than just 18HP.

but I just don't know what to expect.

Comment

Custom intake manifold or custom intake tube?
                              All the bolt-ons in the world will only take you so far with stock cams.

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
                                my 540 (m62b44) dyno'd 282 to the rear wheels with just software on it.

so in doing a custom dry sump, custom intake and stand alone, I am hoping to do slightly better than just 18HP.

but I just don't know what to expect.
                                That's weaksauce.

;)

Anyway, 330hp is a believable number, and w/ 15% drivetrain loss that would be around 280 whp.

Jonsku, what kind of re-flashing are you taking about? Just an off-the-shelf chip? I doubt anyone has tuned an M60B44 conversion to make a chip.

What do you do to get a regular old M60B40 up to 300 bhp?

Comment

Working...
                                X