A different approach to the v8 swap brake booster...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mr walker
    replied
    I'm talking about still using the e34 booster/mc, but using hydraulics to actuate the push rod on the booster...think how the clutch pedal acts on the clutch fork via hydraulics. I'm not really thinking about hydroboost (hydroboost in my mind is like what GM uses on some of their cars...using an engine driven pump to "power" the power brakes).

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwmech1
    replied
    Look at the right hand drive cars and make a mirror image copy of the linkage. Booster could go where the glovebox is, custom lines... Mike Hockman suggested I do that way back when... I just chose a different(read more elaborate) path...

    Garey

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    run the booster under the dash, problem solved

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Since the m6x is quite wide, the hydro booster setup needs to be custom fitted, less room in the engine bay vs the same setup as used in the LSx swaps.

    Leave a comment:


  • iamsam
    replied
    Yeah I think someone did a hydraulic setup somewhere on here, but it looked quite complicated.

    Leave a comment:


  • A different approach to the v8 swap brake booster...

    I've started looking at the v8 swap possibilities more over the past month. You guys are doing an awesome job in this forum; there's so much to be learned here thanks to you. The whole m62 bottom end+m60 heads thing has piqued my interest. One of the "more notable" obstacles with this swap involves the brake booster setup.

    So I started thinking: is there any reason why you couldn't (or wouldn't want to) take a hydraulic approach with the linkage rather than fabricating a mechanical linkage?

    What I have in mind is something similar to the clutch master/slave cylinder setup and applying it to the brake booster. I have more elaborate things going on in my head, but I first want to know if you guys think this even makes sense or is feasible.

    Edit for clarity: I'm talking about still using the e34 booster/mc, but using hydraulics to actuate the push rod on the booster...think how the clutch pedal acts on the clutch fork via hydraulics. Assuming you can comprehend what's happening in the illustration below, it basically shows that with enough brake line and vacuum hose, you could mount the booster/master cylinder to your trunk if you wanted to. That's also assuming that this would actually work...

    Coloring is fun:

    Last edited by mr walker; 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM.
Working...