A different approach to the v8 swap brake booster...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dirtysix
    replied
    Ford used to use a system similar to whats being talked about.


    Can see the booster in top right of this shitfull pic I found.


    And bottom left of this slightly better pic

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by JGood
    From my understanding...

    It's completely different. The master cylinder has two separate reservoirs, feeding two separate circuits, and the compression of the brake pedal, and therefore the individual pistons, is mechanically activating each circuit individually regardless of the other circuits condition. If you blow a front brake line, you still have rear brakes, and vice versa.

    With a remote system, if you blow that single line, you lose it all, there is no backup to help you slow down.

    Correct.


    Originally posted by glucklich21
    You loose a master cylinder you are screwed. A line, not so much, but the master yes. I may have not put that in the most accurate statement.

    The solid stainless lines should negate the risk of loosing control to the slave cylinder and second to that is just the failure of the cylinder itself. The lines are rated well above the working pressure of the other brake components and if inspected every so often I see no problem. It's all just a calculated risk.
    What you fail to realize is that a master cylinder has 2 separate chambers in it, making it very unlikely for the entire braking system to fail.

    You said if you lose a master cylinder you are screwed... so your response is to add in ANOTHER master AND a slave cylinder BEFORE the factory master that has a safety built in? You just tripled your chances for a catastrophic failure in one of the most important systems in a vehicle.

    This is a cool idea, but a bad one once you investigate it thoroughly. Then again, you cannot teach common sense.

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Because then your brakes are shit for the street. I for one don't want to force a solid pedal down in an emergency.

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    Why not just run a boosterless master cyl...?

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    Oh how I love threads such as these.

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    You loose a master cylinder you are screwed. A line, not so much, but the master yes. I may have not put that in the most accurate statement.

    The solid stainless lines should negate the risk of loosing control to the slave cylinder and second to that is just the failure of the cylinder itself. The lines are rated well above the working pressure of the other brake components and if inspected every so often I see no problem. It's all just a calculated risk.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    Originally posted by glucklich21
    Not any different if you were to loose a brake line or master cylinder really.

    From my understanding...

    It's completely different. The master cylinder has two separate reservoirs, feeding two separate circuits, and the compression of the brake pedal, and therefore the individual pistons, is mechanically activating each circuit individually regardless of the other circuits condition. If you blow a front brake line, you still have rear brakes, and vice versa.

    With a remote system, if you blow that single line, you lose it all, there is no backup to help you slow down.

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Not any different if you were to loose a brake line or master cylinder really. I'm looking into this after Lee @ Massive Brakes posted this:



    I would want to use solid stainless steel lines going to the hydroboost, not braided. We use it in the oil field and it's good for 5000 psi. I trust it a little more. ;)


    Leave a comment:


  • BruceBe
    replied
    Putting in a remote hydraulic system introduces a single point of failure for the entire braking system. If the hydraulics between the master/slave become compromised, you lose all brakes in the vehicle.

    Food for thought.

    -Bruce

    Leave a comment:


  • kristov
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonsku
    I have to disagree with this.

    Fitting the E34 linkage (shortening and cutting a bit) is not too hard a job. Only challenge is doing the offset (as the brake linkage will be about 10cm to the left of the car from the brake pedal). The offset can be done either on the pedal (considering the space for clutch pedal as well) or as a separate linkage on the firewall.

    I've done both and I'd say they are equally hard as both solutions have their own pros and cons.


    Brake servo won't take too much space from the trunk so locating it there would be quite good idea actually. Helps with the weight distribution as well :)



    Any ideas on good cylinder sizes? :)
    How is the pedal feel compared to stock E30 pedal feel?

    Leave a comment:


  • nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie
    Yeah seems like kinda sketch to rely on hydraulics to get the pedal power to the booster/mc
    No sketchier than any of the remote booster linkages that I've seen. Doing it properly will be a challenge though.

    Leave a comment:


  • 328ijunkie
    replied
    Yeah seems like kinda sketch to rely on hydraulics to get the pedal power to the booster/mc

    Leave a comment:


  • 2002maniac
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    A failed clutch slave will not kill you. That being said, my '62 International Scout has single circuit brakes and i drive it.

    Leave a comment:


  • mr walker
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0


    This is exactly why reservoirs are seperated front/back nowadays. That way if you spring a leak, you don't lose both front and rear systems.

    Leaving all of your braking capabilities in the hand of one hydraulic circuit without any "plan b", would be a little scary at 100mph.

    Aside from that, I love the idea. If there is a way to incorporate a fail safe, I would consider this for my own future plans.
    Yeah, I actually anticipated this being the main resistance to my idea, rather than it being complicated or difficult to fabricate.

    Seeing as how we all rely everyday on a similar setup for the clutch, and for some people the hand brake for drifting or whatever, it can be tempting to go down this route. But we obviously can't forget that this must be FAR more fail proof than either of those. After all it's not uncommon to see people with clutch slave cylinder problems on this forum...given those parts are now a 1/4 century old now.

    Leave a comment:

Working...