No announcement yet.

Frank Macaluso's E30S62 Swap Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you planning on making the entire core removable like Justin and Garey or just the top like in the pictures? It looks like you might have found a better way to make it removable and leave a little structure behind the way you have it cut in the pictures. Nice progress so far! Can't wait to see this thing! (And take spy photos)

Comment

Just the Top. I wanted to lessen any risk by maintaining the frame rail strength as much as I could while simply making the installation/removal of this shoehorn of an engine easier.

I will show updated progress on how it is actually removable and how I plan to brace it.
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Good seeing ya Frank! You're a life saver with this exhaust. Can't wait to see the finished product of this.

Comment

Just removing the top half makes pulling the engine out easy. We just lifted a bit for the transmission to clear and that was it. Rolled right out without touching a thing. The bottom section is in the shape of a U, so the oil pan clears with ease.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Nice progress!
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Pre sanded clay molds for 2 piece reverse fiber mold of 2x3" to 4"
              Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM. Reason: I like candy

Comment

Comment

So pretty much you just cut and pasted corbin's stache?
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by KatFish View Post

Pre sanded clay molds for 2 piece reverse fiber mold of 2x3" to 4"
                    Chris, did you just make that?
                    Recent Rebranding!!
                    E30 SM62/S62
                    E30 M60 V8
                    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Re: Sweet project

I didn't look back at the build thread for the M60 you've got to see which six speed gearbox you're chosen.

I assume you know that if you have an early V8 six speed the bell housing isn't machined to accept a timing sensor as you will want for the S62.

Alex.
                      sigpic
                      Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                      http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

You da man Frank! I can't wait to see how this all goes together. Props to you for actually making a build thread instead of keeping it a secret

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                          Chris, did you just make that?
                          you know it :)

Comment

Updates 5/29

All,
                            Here are some updates for this week:
                            removed the Flywheel from the M60 for use in the S62

Here is my shifter assembly from UUC from the M60 that I plan to re-shim, and keep for the S62.

here are my engine brackets as driver/passenger as well as the modified compressor bracket and oil filter bracket, both which needed to have the existing brackets removed as it was part of the aluminum cast.

Saw this and liked it:

A little side project. I wanted to clean up the engine bay as much as I could, so I decided to route all driver side wires through the fender well and make it easily disconnectable (word?) via an old populated X20 port from an E34 535i. check it out.

It's been tested and works, so now I must shim all sharp metal corners and properly protect all wires from moisture and chafing. This will work perfectly in conjunction with the easily removable semi-core-support.

I bought a complete M3 cluster. I believe I must swap the fuel gauge with my existing motometer gauge, which should be easy. Other than that, I plan to fully utilize the oil temp gauge, the tach is now calibrated :) and the speedo has a different scale from the E30 325i Tach. See both below. I just need to swap the odometer.

By the way, utilizing a On Board Computer Fuel Signal Correction, I do not lose functionality of MPG, although "instant mpg" is no longer an option. However, I still have "trip mpg", which I think is more important anyway.

Did some wiring for the "X60004" Connector to get the S62 ECU to play nicely with the E30....
                            Recent Rebranding!!
                            E30 SM62/S62
                            E30 M60 V8
                            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

More info on X60004 work you had to do?
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Workin it'.... standby.
                                Recent Rebranding!!
                                E30 SM62/S62
                                E30 M60 V8
                                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                                X